PDA

View Full Version : Super Dungeon Bros - React! Games

Ayrik
01-24-2013, 06:32 PM
Sup bros! Check out our steezy old school 4 player dungeon crawling twin-stick shooter we submitted for CREATE.

Since the CREATE game jam, a lot has changed, but most notably:

- Monsters have been replaced with skeletons. We have a basic skeleton, warrior, archer, and necromancer who summons basic skeletons.
- Melee combat has been refined, and has become the focus. We've added multiple attack states, and a slower, heavy attack.
- Ranged combat has been nerfed, we've removed the twin-stick control element and added ammo constraints. It was also replaced with a crossbow.
- The dungeon (of which there will be many themes), is now a crypt theme, and simple spawners have been replaced with strategic enemy placement.

There are multiple weapon play-styles:

- Sword: quick, jabbing and forward motions.
- Axe: Swiping, cone-shaped attacks. This is the balanced weapon
- Hammer: Slow, focus on AoE and stun.

Each of the weapons has several tiers that you find as you advance through the level.

New Gameplay Trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a_K8ae35lY

Follow us on Twitter (https://www.twitter.com/DungeonBros)
Like us on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/DungeonBros)

Athlor
01-24-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised by the number of RPGs and dungeon crawlers coming to the Ouya. This looks like another good one but please have the ability to turn off the music because I remember an Xbox 360 RPG I played and quit because of this god-awful wailing guitar music it had. :uncomfortableness:

TBCTech
01-24-2013, 07:08 PM
looks like an awesome game!

Ayrik
01-29-2013, 07:43 PM
I apologize for never getting the other videos up. We've been swamped with client work (had to make up for those lost days!). We'll be recording a gameplay video today or tomorrow if we can get a stable build up and running, or we'll just use an old build.

Anyway, we need your help spreading the word, since this contest relies heavily on social media. Please go to this page: (http://killscreendaily.com/create/video.php?submissionID=180) and click the Like and/or Twitter button above of the video. Also the Like button below will like our Facebook page. Thanks for your help!

Ayrik
03-18-2013, 09:10 PM
I've updated the main thread with more details:

Since the CREATE game jam, a lot has changed, but most notably:

- Monsters have been replaced with skeletons. We have a basic skeleton, warrior, archer, and necromancer who summons basic skeletons.
- Melee combat has been refined, and has become the focus. We've added multiple attack states, and a slower, heavy attack.
- Ranged combat has been nerfed, we've removed the twin-stick control element and added ammo constraints. It was also replaced with a crossbow.
- The dungeon (of which there will be many themes), is now a crypt theme, and simple spawners have been replaced with strategic enemy placement.

There are multiple weapon play-styles:

- Sword: quick, jabbing and forward motions.
- Axe: Swiping, cone-shaped attacks. This is the balanced weapon
- Hammer: Slow, focus on AoE and stun.

Each of the weapons has several tiers that you find as you advance through the level.

JCPRuckus
03-19-2013, 03:02 AM
The game you describe definitely sounds better than the one in the video. A little depth goes a long way... :-)... Can't wait to see/play the new version. Sounds like it's got some potential.

Ayrik
04-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Finally, the new gameplay trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a_K8ae35lY

gomez
04-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Wow, awesome !!!

Canobie
04-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Sweet! Just tell me when you get it on the store!

SlingShot
04-03-2013, 12:28 AM
That game looks pretty awesome!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JCPRuckus
04-03-2013, 07:51 AM
This is definitely looking much better. I'm assuming that the sound is still very early, since every strike sounds the same (kinda like popcorn when everyone was standing in the middle of all the skeletons swinging away) but other than that, it's come a long way.

Just wondering, is there any kind of shield mechanic? Because that spot with the 30 archers looked like it would suck w/o a shield.

sandmanfvr
04-03-2013, 01:46 PM
This is definitely looking much better. I'm assuming that the sound is still very early, since every strike sounds the same (kinda like popcorn when everyone was standing in the middle of all the skeletons swinging away) but other than that, it's come a long way.

Just wondering, is there any kind of shield mechanic? Because that spot with the 30 archers looked like it would suck w/o a shield.

I agree, much better as the first trailer was ok (I know if was very early). So is this local multiplayer only or online to?

Ayrik
04-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks everyone, the game is coming along.

Currently we have no shield, though not without some disagreements. The sword's basic attack does deflect projectiles though and we may have to reconsider the shield now that we've sped them up.

Multiplayer is only local right now, but if we go to other platforms like pc or mobile, we'll definitely need online multiplayer.

sandmanfvr
04-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Still very nice, will download this game. Hope online works out as this would be fun online.

elizabitcrusher
04-03-2013, 09:39 PM
I thought the observations on the music and sound design were spot on—more variety of sound effects will really make this game pop rather than inundate our ears with the same repeating sounds so that they have less effect (and possibly become more annoying).
And on that note, I agree, maybe players should have the ability to turn the music off, or maybe the composer could develop the music more so that it changes enough to avoid becoming monotonous or redundant. For example, will the music change per room, per series/type of antagonists, as you move vs. as you fight, or maybe just over time? It's hard to draw a conclusion just on the gameplay, so I don't want to assume anything.(The game, by the way, looks like a great blend of straight old-school fun moving around and killing without being too complex, but I like all the obstacles.

Ayrik
04-03-2013, 10:24 PM
For the record that music is free and not in the game :) and we'll be working on audio next week. Thanks for good the feedback!

elizabitcrusher
04-12-2013, 05:17 PM
What are you using to work on the audio? FMod?

Cheese_king
11-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Any update? When will this be available for the ouya?

dra6onfire
12-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Definitely interested in a progress update on this one!

Ayrik
12-12-2013, 07:39 PM
We are not actively working on Super Dungeon Bros at this time. We have completed a playable demo to raise funds through traditional means. Once that fails (and I told them it would), we will probably start a Kickstarter or something so we can fund the game's development.

It is unclear whether we will support OUYA because of the small player base and limitations of the console, and are looking into more appropriate platforms. If the we decide that mobile is an appropriate platform, it will undoubtedly be developed for OUYA in parallel.

Thanks for your interest in the game! The more interest the community shows, the more likely we are to get funding and be able to work on this game full-time.

Jakenut86
12-12-2013, 08:54 PM
We are not actively working on Super Dungeon Bros at this time. We have completed a playable demo to raise funds through traditional means. Once that fails (and I told them it would), we will probably start a Kickstarter or something so we can fund the game's development.

It is unclear whether we will support OUYA because of the small player base and limitations of the console, and are looking into more appropriate platforms. If the we decide that mobile is an appropriate platform, it will undoubtedly be developed for OUYA in parallel.

Thanks for your interest in the game! The more interest the community shows, the more likely we are to get funding and be able to work on this game full-time.

I hope you change your mind :( as I would love to see this on my OUYA

mmartino
12-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Yeah would have been the perfect multiplayer couch game for the system. A lot like meltdown and a few others that are standing out on the system. Oh well I hope you guys let us know if you change your minds.

Carrie Brown
12-15-2013, 11:05 AM
http://www.freethegamesfund.com and go for half of what you need and that way it will make it easier to reach your funding goal. Ouya will then double your money in exchange for 1 month console exclusivitiy per 10k received.