PDA

View Full Version : Consoles sold separately

Hydrus
05-20-2014, 01:38 AM
It would be nice if OUYA offered consoles at sale separately, meaning just the consoles and no controllers with them. According to GameStop, the controllers alone (still) cost $49.99, so I assume the console would cost around that number too. That is if OUYA is not selling the console itself at $99.99 and are including the controllers for free, which I doubt but it could be possible. The separate console makes a nice fit for people who willingly bust their OUYAs but do not want to spend $99.99 for extra controllers, when for that same price they can just wait a bit more and see what the successor has to offer. I think this idea helps move consoles out.

Hugo
05-20-2014, 01:40 AM
It would be nice if OUYA offered consoles at sale separately, meaning just the consoles and no controllers with them. According to GameStop, the controllers alone (still) cost $49.99, so I assume the console would cost around that number too. That is if OUYA is not selling the console itself at $99.99 and are including the controller for free, which I doubt but it could be possible. The separate console makes a nice fit for people who willingly bust their OUYAs but do not want to spend $99.99 for extra controllers, when for that same price they can just wait a bit more and see what the successor has to offer. I think this idea helps move consoles out.

So, your OUYA is confirmed for brick, then?

undftdroar
05-20-2014, 01:41 AM
but there have been so many sales on ouyas in the past 6 months alone that it really shouldn't matter, plus there are other places besides gamestop were you can get controllers cheaper. ( don't know if there are any sales in other countries)

Hydrus
05-20-2014, 01:42 AM
I get no responses, and I think I might be the only person who has ever attempted to do what I did, so I guess so lol.

RiotingSpectre
05-20-2014, 01:47 AM
So, your OUYA is confirmed for brick, then?I get no responses, and I think I might be the only person who has ever attempted to do what I did, so I guess so lol.

Sorry, but I giggled at Hugo's execution. Classic comedy. *Clears Throat* Anyways, I had this idea a long time ago but I had thought to myself that if someone wanted a cheaper purchasing alternative then they could just go to a website like Ebay to buy a console and controller for fifty bucks if they were lucky enough. Even if they weren't then it would still be cheap enough for them to get a mint second-hand console which may or may not have a controller that can be used as a spare opposed to purchasing a completely new one at a discounted price. It boils down to preference I suppose but I'd have to say that this suggestion would most likely be done just to have it without any other reason other than to have it available.

Hydrus
05-20-2014, 01:50 AM
I hate buying online though. Every time I buy online I get robbed >.>

RiotingSpectre
05-20-2014, 02:16 AM
I hate buying online though. Every time I buy online I get robbed >.>

I don't know how long you've been shopping online but you get a feel for it in time. Who to trust, who to not trust. What something is actually worth and given the circumstances surrounding the item; is it worth whatever possible inflated price it may have. Buying a console online from OUYA.tv or Ebay aren't different as long as you play your cards right and the latter can even be a better option when it comes to overall money than from official retailers if you're lucky.

SlingShot
05-20-2014, 05:02 AM
What good is an Ouya without a controller? I guess it would be for people that already have bluetooth controllers?

RiotingSpectre
05-20-2014, 06:52 AM
What good is an Ouya without a controller? I guess it would be for people that already have bluetooth controllers?

Yeah. The request came from a person who may have bricked their OUYA from doing all sorts of do-hickies to it. He has a working controller and is only looking for a new console if he can't get his current one fixed so the gist of it all is a cheaper purchasing option via scrapping the controller he doesn't need so he can just get a console.

DrunkPunk
05-20-2014, 08:00 AM
I'm a fan of this idea. If we could get our hands on just the console for much cheaper, it would prod more modification.

I have been waiting to do just that when the OUYA2 comes out. Buy some cheap first runs and have a hey-day!

Shiroku
08-10-2014, 08:31 PM
I fully agree with you and your idea: the possibility to buy only the console (without the controller) will be very useful in case I already own some controllers

James Andrew Coote
08-10-2014, 09:23 PM
I suspect that the controllers don't cost OUYA that much to make, and that most of the $49 or whatever cost for a separate controller is markup. That means removing it from the bundle and selling just the console box on its own would only shave, say, $10 off the current price.

Killswitch
08-24-2014, 05:44 AM
In case anyone was looking, they were offering refurbs for $65 with a controller
http://shop.ouya.tv/products/refurbished-ouya-game-console-and-controller