PDA

View Full Version : Seperate Your Future Updates. (Don't install latest update if ROOTED!!!!!)

TbagginEagle
05-06-2014, 04:56 AM
Been stuck in the nightmare that is the latest update for an hour and half before realizing it's never gonna happen, making the Ouya Discover store unshoppable for me. Very bad move on Ouya's part. A simple solution would've been to ask if my system was rooted (WE ALL KNOW WE HAVE TO ROOT FOR GOOGLE PLAY DUH) Instead of getting stuck in a nightmare of loops, i could've applied the update that would've suited me. Instead i'm just not going to apply update (because if you think i'm factory restoring you're crazy) and i won't shop in the Discover store until the devs get their crap together and figure out what the hell they're trying to do. I mean seriously WHO isn't rooted? Idiots.

Killswitch
05-06-2014, 04:58 AM
Why do you think they care if you rooted your OUYA or not for Google Play? Google Play is not their concern, their concern is a working OUYA. Next time you want to rant and rave, make sure you rant and rave at the right people. Tons of people aren't rooted and made no attempt to do so.

The people who have rooted their OUYAs usually post how to handle the situation.

Blame OUYA for whatever but don't blame them for what you chose to do to your OUYA dude, that's not right.

RiotingSpectre
05-06-2014, 05:03 AM
I'm not rooted and I'm in the strongest position you can be in a forum coupled with the fact with being the biggest supporter here. Unparallelled amount of helped members, posts, and general contributions and I still don't have a rooted console nor have any desire to do so. Google Play is an alright mobile marketplace but it has no barring on the finally quality nor any priority in the OUYA eco-system. My opinion that can be shrugged off? Sure, but do keep aware that I'm in the majority in the sense that I don't have nor want Google Play coupled with the fact that you yourself are spouting an opinion that can be just as easily shrugged off if I wanted.

Don't call people idiots. You have no idea what the statistics are and even if we're in the same boat on this assertion then at least I'm respectful and mindful of other possibilities there may be out there without discrediting anybody.

Hydrus
05-06-2014, 05:18 AM
Been stuck in the nightmare that is the latest update for an hour and half before realizing it's never gonna happen, making the Ouya Discover store unshoppable for me. Very bad move on Ouya's part. A simple solution would've been to ask if my system was rooted (WE ALL KNOW WE HAVE TO ROOT FOR GOOGLE PLAY DUH) Instead of getting stuck in a nightmare of loops, i could've applied the update that would've suited me. Instead i'm just not going to apply update (because if you think i'm factory restoring you're crazy) and i won't shop in the Discover store until the devs get their crap together and figure out what the hell they're trying to do. I mean seriously WHO isn't rooted? Idiots.

An option for OUYA would be to offer offline updates and let the console update via USB instead of using the internet since it is pretty awful. Being rooted or not has nothing to do with making the console update slowly either. If you lose root because of an update, you can get it back with the one-click root tool. My OUYA is still in Jackalope (I think) since I have iMan's patch and it prevents updates, if updating the console bothers you then try installing that. It is somewhere in the Hacks folder, I would take you there directly but hyperlinking is a pain with how I am right now.

Kaimega
05-06-2014, 05:20 AM

Seriously? This is a post you start a thread off with?

First of all, not everyone has root, including me. I also have no use for it either, because everything I would want to play is on Discover, not Google Play (I really don't get a rat's ass about the GP store). No other Android Device EVER asks if your device is rooted, they will reflash with the new firmware. It is how Android devices, as well as any other device (linux handhelds, Windows, Palm, etc) works. OUYA isn't catering those who uses their device and not their services. That simply doesn't make sense. There will always be risks to rooting and using software that is outside of the ecosystem. Same goes for any other device as well. That includes firmware upgrades.

As Killswitch says, don't blame OUYA for things such as mods you choose to do to your device. Be aware of the benefits as well as the risks.

Hugo
05-06-2014, 05:21 AM
Many use their OUYA as a media hub. I use my OUYA mainly for emulation. I don't have much of an interest in the Discover store, let alone mobile games from Google Play. Rooting it is unnecessary for my purposes, and probably for the purposes of many others. You're coming out of the gate entirely too strong for your first few posts.

http://i.imgur.com/xwvYKEQ.gif

TbagginEagle
05-06-2014, 05:27 AM
Many use their OUYA as a media hub. I use my OUYA mainly for emulation. I don't have much of an interest in the Discover store, let alone mobile games from Google Play. Rooting it is unnecessary for my purposes, and probably for the purposes of many others. You're coming out of the gate entirely too strong for your first few posts.

http://i.imgur.com/xwvYKEQ.gif

Fair enough. But we all know what Ouya is let's not act like we don't.

Hydrus
05-06-2014, 05:29 AM
A console?

Kaimega
05-06-2014, 05:32 AM
Fair enough. But we all know what Ouya is let's not act like we don't.

What does that mean? It is a Android device, yes. It is more a games console with its own store, like Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3

Not every Android device has Google Play, believe it or not. And while the console is hackable, it doesn't mean OUYA has to appease for whatever the end user does with their device.

TbagginEagle
05-06-2014, 05:43 AM
What does that mean? It is a Android device, yes. It is more a games console with its own store, like Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3

Not every Android device has Google Play, believe it or not. And while the console is hackable, it doesn't mean OUYA has to appease for whatever the end user does with their device.

I wasn't trying to start an argument, simply let other users know that if they are rooted, they shouldn't apply the update, and yeah i'm steamed because it's such a waste of time for nothing. This is the kind of thing that turns people off. The reason is because Ouya is marketed as the little box that can do it all, however it's not supported as such. Even a simple warning before applying what you would think is a safe update could let people know. I've already seen other posts where users were stuck in the update loop and the only solution was to factory restore. That's just not good enough. I decided to unplug the ethernet (cancelling the loop) and re-installing a custom launcher to fix.
Not to come off like a jerk, but i would've gotten rid of the Ouya if ANOTHER factory restore was required, and i'm the guy that works at a game store that's trying to help the Ouya build steam. These kinds of things have to be kept in mind for Ouya's updates. We're not talking about a closed system like iOS, we're talking about what makes Android great, flexibility. Why would you not want to include that in an update or hassle the people that actually "GET" what the Ouya is capable of? Just wanted to add that my suggestion still stands and if you haven't tried GooglePlay or Amazon in the living room, you could spice up your life and give it a shot. XBMC + Google Play or Amazon is a win and keep in mind this came about BECAUSE i was trying to shop in Ouya's store.

Hugo
05-06-2014, 06:12 AM
Why would you not want to include that in an update or hassle the people that actually "GET" what the Ouya is capable of?

I've rooted many devices with great success. This isn't something that I care to root, as it serves a singular purpose for me. The statement that I quoted is pretty condescending. By that same token, you're attempting to "do people a favor" by sharing information that's been available for almost a year. I don't want to discourage you from posting, but I do think that you should adjust your approach quite a bit because you're coming off as patronizing to people who aren't as ignorant as you assume them to be.

TbagginEagle
05-06-2014, 06:39 AM
I've rooted many devices with great success. This isn't something that I care to root, as it serves a singular purpose for me. The statement that I quoted is pretty condescending. By that same token, you're attempting to "do people a favor" by sharing information that's been available for almost a year. I don't want to discourage you from posting, but I do think that you should adjust your approach quite a bit because you're coming off as patronizing to people who aren't as ignorant as you assume them to be.

I mean if the shoe fits...suggestion still stands. The worst thing that could happen for the Ouya is for them to back peddle further turning it into a completely closed system that wants to sell you games. That's exactly what it wasn't supposed to be. If that's what YOU want, then have at it, but at that point it would no longer be appealing to me and i would have to suggest to ALL of my customers to stay far away.

RiotingSpectre
05-06-2014, 06:49 AM
I wasn't trying to start an argument, simply let other users know that if they are rooted, they shouldn't apply the update, and yeah i'm steamed because it's such a waste of time for nothing. This is the kind of thing that turns people off.

The reason is because Ouya is marketed as the little box that can do it all, however it's not supported as such.

Even a simple warning before applying what you would think is a safe update could let people know. I've already seen other posts where users were stuck in the update loop and the only solution was to factory restore. That's just not good enough. I decided to unplug the ethernet (cancelling the loop) and re-installing a custom launcher to fix.

Not to come off like a jerk, but i would've gotten rid of the Ouya if ANOTHER factory restore was required, and i'm the guy that works at a game store that's trying to help the Ouya build steam.

You put that on yourself when you rooted and as Kaimega said before you have to take into consideration the benefits and consequences to doing so. This is a consequence that was unavoidable simply because you willingly knew that a console that doesn't approve nor supports rooting doesn't allow easier measures to doing so. They're not at fault simply because it's their rightful choice not to be a console that supports such gray areas like this like any other console. Side-Loading in itself is in that gray area but not supporting it would be dangerous to their business due to multiple factors while not supporting an even grayer area (rooting) doesn't harm them one bit.

It was never marketed like that as far as I know and I've been in the scene since the first week it began on the Kickstarter. Even if it was then I know rooting wasn't included due to the obvious problems that surround it. The forced demo policy was removed so an ever evolving business held by a "promise" or not has to make the tough decision to survive which means that if it ever was specified in fine print to support rooting then it sure as hell doesn't no. The community has been over this in the past and we've all accepted for the console for what it is. We know things change and the business realm (as you probably know already) is an ever evolving place that takes no permanent shape which means no establishments can adapt to anything for long.

That's their own fault for rooting. I'm not going to say what I just said again.

And that would be your choice to get rid of the console like it was OUYA Incorporate's choice to never support rooting. If you bought the console not knowing the fine print and it turns out you don't like the font then don't blame the company. Blame the poor purchasing choice on yourself.

I mean if the shoe fits...suggestion still stands. The worst thing that could happen for the Ouya is for them to back peddle further turning it into a completely closed system that wants to sell you games. That's exactly what it wasn't supposed to be. If that's what YOU want, then have at it, but at that point it would no longer be appealing to me and i would have to suggest to ALL of my customers to stay far away.

I'm not one to pull a Hugo and give off the tone I'm about to, but this sounds like that since the product isn't to your one-hundred percent liking nor adhering to the completely false claim that it supported rooting due to being an "everything" console. You're now choosing to complain about it like a kid who wanted the yellow sucker from the doctor after getting his shot and not the green. It's not going to give you a prompt warning you to blah-blah, advise people to root, or any of that stuff. I'm sorry but this suggestion isn't happening, this thread is completely crazy, and it has served its purpose. As a suggestion.

flamepanther
05-06-2014, 07:56 AM
For the sake of any curious bystanders who might benefit from the information, OUYA does separate their updates depending on whether the user is rooted or has otherwise modified their system. Pure stock users get a "patch" update, since OUYA Inc knows what files are where and in what condition. Modded users get a complete ROM download, since they don't. This works for the vast majority of rooted users (who are not necessarily a majority of users in general), and RootMyOUYA can be applied immediately afterward. If the update is failing, then something is wrong other than simply being rooted. In this case, the intrepid user has the option to figure out the problem, wipe and start over, or choose to avoid the update. "Don't update if rooted" would be a poor choice, since many of us aren't using custom recoveries, and would rather not deal with installing one and hunting for zips of the latest updates just to get what everyone else gets automagically. Due to the essentially infinite variables involved, OUYA also can't very well include "you borked your system" detection, as nice as that might be.