PDA

View Full Version : OUYA power supply (battery)

JerTM
05-01-2014, 01:57 AM
I have a battery pack with a 12v 10A output. Would it safely power an OUYA? The power supply that comes with the OUYA is a 12v 1.5A. I am not sure but I would think 10A would let the smoke out of an OUYA.

Aaron Mallory
05-01-2014, 02:26 AM
i think the ouya is 2.5A...but yeah i wouldnt reccomend trying this

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

knave
05-01-2014, 04:56 PM
The Voltage is what matters. as long as its 12V the OUYA will only draw what it needs. That said power supplies amp ratings are limited for a reason.

endstate: It will work if the plug fits.

JerTM
05-01-2014, 05:49 PM
It's quite a nifty little toy. It started my car without a battey, and it has a lot of different options to power items. It comes with a good selection of power connections and ports so one should fit. I just don't want to turn my OUYA into something worthless. I was just wondering if it would be a viable option for a portable OUYA.

rfdppjs2976dlx

arm206
05-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Knave is right.
A battery's capacity is usually measured in Ah (ampere hours). The 10A marking might be standing for the maximum recommended constant draw for your battery. In this case you can connect devices to it that draw less power than 10A. (An Ouya draws definately less.)
If the voltage fits (12V, DC), it will work. You need to watch the polarity! A reversed polarity can damage your device. You can check the drawing on the Ouya's original power supply for orientation.
If you post a link to your battery, we can detail the connections for you.

The Voltage is what matters. as long as its 12V the OUYA will only draw what it needs. That said power supplies amp ratings are limited for a reason.

endstate: It will work if the plug fits.

Michael Thompson
05-03-2014, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure how much current Ouya draws when operating but if you can determine that then it's just a little math to estimate your run time on a given 12-volt battery.

Back in the day I was known to run my Atari from several 9-volt batteries connected in parallel. It's just unfortunate that battery powered TVs were still super expensive back then or i might have gotten into mobile gaming sooner than i actually did...

venom831
05-03-2014, 10:57 PM
I'm curious about this as well. I'm going to be installing one of these to my dvd player in my truck next week, and I'd rather not have to use a power inverter for a cleaner install. Any chance on a "car adapter" for power?

Michael Thompson
05-04-2014, 11:34 AM
I'm curious about this as well. I'm going to be installing one of these to my dvd player in my truck next week, and I'd rather not have to use a power inverter for a cleaner install. Any chance on a "car adapter" for power?

Cars use 12 volts just like Ouya does so there is no need for a car adapter per se. You can plug an Ouya into the cig lighter with zero problems as long as you have the right cable.

arm206
05-05-2014, 07:45 AM
Not every cigar lighter socket is voltage regulated. (In fact many of them are not.) A car's generator is allowed to produce 14.4V within it's normal operating range (to load the battery). A simple voltage regulator would be wise to keep surges away from the Ouya.

Cars use 12 volts just like Ouya does so there is no need for a car adapter per se. You can plug an Ouya into the cig lighter with zero problems as long as you have the right cable.

JerTM
05-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Not every cigar lighter socket is voltage regulated. (In fact many of them are not.) A car's generator is allowed to produce 14.4V within it's normal operating range (to load the battery). A simple voltage regulator would be wise to keep surges away from the Ouya.

I agree completely with this post. I am an automotive technician and I would put a voltage regulator on it as well.

MaXX99
05-13-2014, 08:15 AM
Can someone put some examples of voltage regulated power adapters for the OUYA ? I would like to put 2 OUYA's in the back of the car for the kids.

knave
05-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Knave is right.

...It is nice to be recognized... LOL

I would look for an inexpensive automotive power supply that supplies clean 12v.

Here's a DC-DC supply for $20:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_1953161_-1

But if you look around you might find an easier solution for cheaper.

Michael Thompson
05-15-2014, 01:43 AM
Yes, totally agree. Didn't even think of that when i posted.
I stand corrected for sure a regulator will flatten that stuff out for reliable operations