PDA

View Full Version : Downing's OUYA Portable

Downing
04-28-2014, 10:47 PM
So just shy of a month in the making, I'd like to present to you my first portable in over two years! Thanks a bunch to RDC and Hailrazer for their contributions to this project as well!

No fancy name or anything like that, Just Downing's OUYA Portable!

Specs:

Custom 3D Printed/CNC Cut Casing
Custom PCBs for Controller Buttons and Screen Controls
2 - 3.7v, 5000mAh Batteries (4-5 hours of play time)
1 - 7" 780p HDMI Display
2 - Stereo 25mm Speakers
2 - PS3 Analog control sticks with custom PCB boards
Standard 8-Gig OUYA Game Console with USB Port for Expanded Memory or Side Loading
Custom Controller Break Out Board for Analog to Digital Trigger Presses.

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab182/cndowning/OUYA%20Portable/DSC_0092_zpse025a40d.jpg
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab182/cndowning/OUYA%20Portable/DSC_0100_zpsb8ffa6ef.jpg
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab182/cndowning/OUYA%20Portable/DSC_0094_zpsc61b9505.jpg
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab182/cndowning/OUYA%20Portable/DSC_0096_zps0f25a851.jpg
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab182/cndowning/OUYA%20Portable/DSC_0093_zps6de052c2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpPk4cO8Q8

For a full build log and more info on how this was made, check out the build log!
http://www.bacman.co.uk/bacforum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4313&start=70

timmytot666
04-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Damn that looks badass. Hows the battery life?

Dan Fu
04-28-2014, 10:56 PM
I really want something like this. Awesome job and I hope the people at OUYA see are seeing this and taking notes.

Downing
04-28-2014, 11:26 PM
Damn that looks badass. Hows the battery life?

Thanks guys! I get about 4.5 to 5 hours in a single sitting. More than enough for me.

timmytot666
04-28-2014, 11:44 PM
Me too, overall cost?

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Killswitch
04-29-2014, 12:03 AM
Interesting triggers. Have a charge port on that?

Downing
04-29-2014, 12:44 AM
Interesting triggers. Have a charge port on that?

Of course. It's on the bottom edge of the system (third pic from the top, next to the headphone jack). Yeah, I've found people either love them or hate them or don't think they are comfortable just by looking at them. But really, it fits like a glove when you get it in your hand.

Downing
04-29-2014, 12:46 AM
Me too, overall cost?

One-offs are always pretty expensive. This one I say with all the major parts (screen, batteries and the OUYA being the biggest expenses) and the custom PCBs, this ran about $450. Took about a month of on and off time to build as well.

RiotingSpectre
04-29-2014, 12:46 AM
Saw your private message. Welcome back and wow did you amaze me with this!

Downing
04-29-2014, 12:54 AM
Saw your private message. Welcome back and wow did you amaze me with this!

I was hoping you'd like it! I've been playing it non-stop for the past few days, "testing thoroughly" as I'd like to call it. :) Kind of a few steps up from the "almost portable" OUYA I'd made work with the Cross Plane back in October.

RiotingSpectre
04-29-2014, 01:01 AM
I was hoping you'd like it! I've been playing it non-stop for the past few days, "testing thoroughly" as I'd like to call it. :) Kind of a few steps up from the "almost portable" OUYA I'd made work with the Cross Plane back in October.

You outdid yourself by a long shot. I bet if you showed Ben Heck this and compared portables; he'd drool with envy. It sucks that the Cross Plane didn't pass its goal but I can see it's still living on in the hearts of you and quite possibly your team too.

Killswitch
04-29-2014, 01:05 AM
Of course. It's on the bottom edge of the system (third pic from the top, next to the headphone jack). Yeah, I've found people either love them or hate them or don't think they are comfortable just by looking at them. But really, it fits like a glove when you get it in your hand.

Was curious if that's what I was looking at there. Still a toss up if I do an OUYA or a PS2 portable.
Looks good though those triggers seem weird....

Downing
04-29-2014, 01:12 AM
Was curious if that's what I was looking at there. Still a toss up if I do an OUYA or a PS2 portable.
Looks good though those triggers seem weird....

I like PS2, but the OUYA is just so much more versatile when comes to gaming and variety. Much simpler to make into a portable I might add. haha.

Yeah, the triggers aren't orthodox by any means. Actually a little secret, the were designed based around the N64 controller Z button and what R&L would have been if they were flat. They may look odd, but as I said, they feel great.

Killswitch
04-29-2014, 02:13 AM
I like PS2, but the OUYA is just so much more versatile when comes to gaming and variety. Much simpler to make into a portable I might add. haha.

Don't know about that...PS2 has a big catalog and one I missed out on while I was playing baseball and football so to me it's more of reliving those days I guess. Plus why would I want to pay $500 to make an OUYA when I could buy 7 for that price :p

Simpler, yes. Looking at the CD player is a bitch though I could go the emulation route I guess. OUYA doesn't have all that to worry about.

I was tempted in the past to do an OUYA but cost and other factors stopped me. Good to see there are others willing to take the plunge.

devin37354
04-29-2014, 02:33 AM
It reminds me most of the wiiu gamepad which I personally think feels great in hand

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

timekillergames
04-29-2014, 03:53 AM
OMG I want one of these so bad but $450 is out of the question. :( Can I do $100 & clean your dishes for 6 months?

Paul Laimal-Convoy
04-29-2014, 01:19 PM
Speaking of Ben Heck, did he ever complete his Ouya portable? I've only seen parts 1 and 2...

Eucrow
04-29-2014, 02:49 PM
Simply amazing!

Jay Jeuris Rodriguez
04-29-2014, 03:56 PM
good job brother , may I ask what is the 3D printer that you own?

Pat1986
04-29-2014, 04:24 PM
nice. but how long does the battery last?

Downing
04-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Speaking of Ben Heck, did he ever complete his Ouya portable? I've only seen parts 1 and 2...

Yes, Part 3 has been on YT for a while now. It's not bad, he did some cool things with it and I bet if he had more time he could have made it nicer, but that's what being on a time limit does to this kind of thing.

good job brother , may I ask what is the 3D printer that you own?

Thanks! I actually don't own one, but my friend and fellow modder Hailrazer has a MakerBot Replicator 2X Experimental ABS/PLA printer. I hope to soon be getting a Gmax printer but I need to free up a bit of cash before I do. I'd love to get the new MakerBot 5gen but no way I can swing that price tag.

nice. but how long does the battery last?

That question has been answered already, but that was a whole page ago. 4.5 to 5 hours in a single sitting is what the theory plays out to be. I've not sat down for 5 hours to test the theory, but I have spent over 2 playing pin ball on the thing with no issues.

Downing
04-29-2014, 05:14 PM
Don't know about that...PS2 has a big catalog and one I missed out on while I was playing baseball and football so to me it's more of reliving those days I guess. Plus why would I want to pay $500 to make an OUYA when I could buy 7 for that price :p

Simpler, yes. Looking at the CD player is a bitch though I could go the emulation route I guess. OUYA doesn't have all that to worry about.

I was tempted in the past to do an OUYA but cost and other factors stopped me. Good to see there are others willing to take the plunge.

Well, by "versatile" I meant it can do more than the PS2 as a whole. The library I agree is far superior and the classic nature of the system is hard to beat. But I plugged in my USB drive and play some Mario RPG on this last night. Got some cool nostalgia feelings out of that! Now I also have a NES, SNES, SEGA and N64 portable. Though I admit I haven't played with the settings enough to get any quality emulation.

knave
04-29-2014, 05:25 PM
It looks great, do you have some more picts of your build process and the inside?

Downing
04-29-2014, 05:58 PM
It looks great, do you have some more picts of your build process and the inside?

Yeah, I posted a link on the first thread but here it is again.

http://www.bacman.co.uk/bacforum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4313

Downing
04-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Kind of exciting! My project got on Hack-A-Day!

http://hackaday.com/2014/04/30/a-masterpiece-of-3d-printed-case-modding-with-an-ouya/#more-121127

Killswitch
04-30-2014, 06:59 PM
Nice...too bad they took a dig at OUYA too.

Downing
04-30-2014, 10:41 PM
It really is funny. As far as the comments go, they could care less about the actual project, the just want to argue of things that have nothing to do with the topic. Whatever. I've come to expect it so let them say what they want.

Michael Thompson
05-03-2014, 12:25 PM
That is really nicely done!
I would really love it if they developed an Ouya portable.

Alternately it would be interesting to see the Ouya system installed into one of the Android-based gaming handhelds coming out of China.
That would be the best of both worlds without the hardware build but also a potential development nightmare so I'm not holding my breath.