PDA

View Full Version : Discover Needs a Facelift!

LightyKD
04-27-2014, 11:24 PM
Is it me or does Discover feels like something that's tacked onto the OUYA Menu? I think Discover needs to look like a modified version of OUYA.tv. The website looks so beautiful and Discover pales in comparison to that. I'm more inclined to browse around and push things to my OUYA from the site than from Discover.

Jeffry84
04-27-2014, 11:26 PM
Mmh, perhaps the theme could remind of the site, but I have to say that finding a game on Ouya.tv is kinda slow imo.

RiotingSpectre
04-27-2014, 11:28 PM
On the contrary, OUYA.tv pisses me off beyond belief because of its multi-layered structure, slow load times, and the fact that it shows so little content per screen. I would like OUYA.tv to be like Discover and not the other way around if anything, but both could use some improvements with the former being long overdue for one.

LightyKD
04-27-2014, 11:32 PM
On the contrary, OUYA.tv pisses me off beyond believe because of its multi-layered structure, slow load times, and the fact that it shows so little content per screen. I would like OUYA.tv to be like Discover and not the other way around if anything, but both could use some improvements with the former being long due for one.

OK how about this? All site issues aside, on principal, Discover needs to stand out from the rest of the menu. As it stands, Discover looks like another part of the menu and it does not get me into a shopping mood. One thing that Nintendo and Google did right was make their stores stand out in design from everything else. Mentally, it puts you into "shopping mode" instead of making you feel like you're just spamming buttons.

RiotingSpectre
04-27-2014, 11:38 PM
OK how about this? All site issues aside, on principal, Discover needs to stand out from the rest of the menu. As it stands, Discover looks like another part of the menu and it does not get me into a shopping mood. One thing that Nintendo and Google did right was make their stores stand out in design from everything else. Mentally, it puts you into "shopping mode" instead of making you feel like you're just spamming buttons.

Sure, I'd go for that as long as it's not like walking into the Twilight Zone. Maybe they could add a Discover exclusive background, unique sounds when you move throughout the menu, and other flair that could differentiate it from the rest of the OUYA's menus. We both want those animated widgets for the icons like Canabalt HD's tie moving in the wind in its widget for example, but that might be a PLAY exclusive since it would be memory hogging. Don't really want all those widgets being animated barely or not in Discover with all those icons at once anyways because it would mess with your eyes.

LightyKD
04-27-2014, 11:44 PM
Sure, I'd go for that as long as it's not like walking into the Twilight Zone. Maybe they could add a Discover exclusive background, unique sounds when you move throughout the menu, and other flair that could differentiate it from the rest of the OUYA's menus. We both want those animated widgets for the icons like Canabalt HD's tie moving in the wind in its widget for example, but that might be a PLAY exclusive since it would be memory hogging. Don't really want all those widgets being animated barely or not in Discover with all those icons at once anyways because it would mess with your eyes.

A - I agree that banners in Discover should NOT be animated. The last thing we need are servers and connections that are bogged down due to over use of animations. Also, I think it would be a bit too distracting.

B - Have you had the chance to check out the last post in this thread?

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?6153-Your-Dream-OUYA-UI/page8

RiotingSpectre
04-27-2014, 11:48 PM
B - Have you had the chance to check out the last post in this thread?

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?6153-Your-Dream-OUYA-UI/page8

You're wanting to know if they're watching that thread? They are and the rest of the section too but there's a sense of scope that we community people can't fathom that goes into the actual console's further development which has to be taken into consideration by the developers themselves. Perhaps our ideas will come to life in the end but don't be surprised if something isn't exactly what we had in mind coupled with the fact that it might take the second iteration of the console to have those ideas appear in the first place.

LightyKD
04-28-2014, 12:29 AM
You're wanting to know if they're watching that thread? They are and the rest of the section too but there's a sense of scope that we community people can't fathom that goes into the actual console's further development which has to be taken into consideration by the developers themselves. Perhaps our ideas will come to life in the end but don't be surprised if something isn't exactly what we had in mind coupled with the fact that it might take the second iteration of the console to have those ideas appear in the first place.

It might actually be a matter of a OS upgrade (which I'm dreading due to lack of Wii Remote support). Remember, even the Wii was able to do some of these banner related effects on weaker hardware. With that said, you're right in that some of the "sparkly goods" might have to be saved for OUYA 2.0

xAD
04-28-2014, 04:37 AM
I'm more concerned with discoverability in Discover than anything else.
I showed my OUYA off to a few folks this weekend and asked them how many games were available. Response: 20-30.
There's almost 800 games on the system, and people only see 20-30.
That is a problem.