PDA

View Full Version : LED question , connecting more than one

Jay Jeuris Rodriguez
04-21-2014, 06:03 AM
On my mod I may need two or possibly 3 LED'S . How would I go about this? can I connect more to the ouyas white led pins?

knave
04-21-2014, 05:10 PM
I think adding two more LEDs (I would do a parallel circuit) to the original would work...

Hydrus
04-21-2014, 05:35 PM
Depending on the mod that you plan on doing, you can also connect the LEDs to an external power source, like a battery holder.

Nitrogen_Widget
04-21-2014, 08:31 PM
Depending on the mod that you plan on doing, you can also connect the LEDs to an external power source, like a battery holder.

He will need a Transistor to switch it on if he uses an external power source.

salvasaur
04-21-2014, 09:22 PM
You won't necessarily need to put 3 LEDs in parallel. It really all depends on what you're getting. My mod has 3 3.4V 20mA LEDs with a 100 ohm (only 91 ohms were required) resistor in series. Adding another LED would have prompted putting them in parallel though. And I wouldn't connect them to the existing LED.

Michael Thompson
04-24-2014, 12:28 AM
I'm getting ready to do the LED mod myself having just received a big ol' bag of LEDs in various colors. (went with orange to better match the brass mods)
In addition to the indicator LED I'd like to add a little internal lighting inside my Ouya to see if it can be made to shine through the CAI port I installed in the case.
I'll be trying out running multiples in parallel to see if it drags the circuit down and makes them run dim.

FYI:
I measured a little over 2.8 volts at my Ouya's LED.
Using a 3V coin cell came in handy for trying out the different colors. I just held the case lid over the LED to see how each color looked.

Athlor
04-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Hooking them in parallel is fine but they'll get consecutively dimmer as the onboard resistor limits the current. I'd use as small (3mm or less) of an LED as possible as smaller ones generally use less power.
I swapped the white LED for a slow-flashing 5mm RGB LED myself. It's cool effect, it slowing changes color through red, purple, blue, green, yellow etc.. I once did this an a desktop PC only with a fast-flashing RGB and it became annoying after awhile. But the slow-flashing RGB LED is much better for this purpose. The RGB LEDs I picked up actually fade from one color to another. changing their luminosity. I got 10 for 99 cents from Ebay by way of China. I wish it was brighter though.

Michael Thompson
04-25-2014, 12:30 AM
I ended up just doing a "vanilla" swap with a 5mm orange LED.
I'm going to put a red one in my black case, which should look awesome and match the red logo on the black controller.