PDA

View Full Version : Warning To Anyone Buying An Amazon FireTv.

takedownmak
04-07-2014, 11:02 PM
warning for anyone wanting to buy a amazon fire tv it sucks it only has 8 gigs o wait i mean 5.5 after the update and i just returned mine today.
i installed 5 games and i ran out of space and with no external storage support its worthless imo.
download speeds are horrible and take forever and there is problems with endless looping of installing to where i had to factory reset.
If you want it for streaming then great but as a gameing system its really flawed to say the least.
like Julie said For OUYA gameing is the whole point not an after thought so just stick with OUYA
even madcatz mojo was better even though i returned that too lol

rosse119
04-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Well that's another fail then, long live Ouya :D

LightyKD
04-07-2014, 11:06 PM
I had no plans to buy this BUT I was worried that this would be the case. It sucks for Fire TV users but it could be a good thing for the OUYA for a little while longer. :)

takedownmak
04-07-2014, 11:08 PM
yep i just want my money back...
also can someone fix the title of this thread

Killswitch
04-07-2014, 11:13 PM
Their main focus FOR NOW is the media. Probably do the whole hard drive thing and all that later if they ramp up the game side or find a way to keep it all online since they've had networks for years.

RiotingSpectre
04-07-2014, 11:14 PM
warning for anyone wanting to buy a amazon fire tv it sucks it only has 8 gigs o wait i mean 5.5 after the update and i just returned mine today.
i installed 5 games and i ran out of space and with no external storage support its worthless imo.
download speeds are horrible and take forever and there is problems with endless looping of installing to where i had to factory reset.
If you want it for streaming then great but as a gameing system its really flawed to say the least.
like Julie said For OUYA gameing is the whole point not an after thought so just stick with OUYA

Why the hell do companies don't get that we need external support from the get-go? There's literally no excuse I could give either Amazon, or OUYA Incorporate for this lack of a feature. I sighed so hard that the straw in my distant cup of RC Cola swung around like a rotor-blade. I could go into more detail but my brain is on fire right now. Argh, someone is going to get wrongfully strangled by me today because of this.

also can someone fix the title of this thread

I gotcha, buddy.

Hugo
04-07-2014, 11:24 PM
Good thing that I don't plan to game on mine. Thanks for the heads up.

RiotingSpectre
04-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Good thing that I don't plan to game on mine. Thanks for the heads up.

I do on mine once I get it. (If I get it.).

mdwright1032
04-08-2014, 12:18 AM

I have firetv and have a total different experience. My downloads are super quick althought it does suck it has the same storage space as the ouya. I installed over 10 games and still have a little space. I hear they are going to support external usb storage in the near future. This thing smokes my ouya in every category.

ON top of that you can uninstall games and amazon keeps them in the cloud for redownload etc

Oldkid Livegen
04-08-2014, 12:23 AM

You could have at least saved the apk of the Walking Dead and then return that darn flat ugly thing to its makers.

Victor Coleiro
04-08-2014, 12:23 AM
I noticed stories on it are starting to turn from the initial optimism to now commenting on its flaws.

CNET picked up on the storage issue, apparently getting low on storage can also affect video streaming. http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-fire-tv-as-game-console-the-good-bad-and-weird/
A lot of people have commented on the lack of controller coming standard from a gaming perspective. Basically what do devs develop for, the remote it comes with, or a controller of unknown feature set that an unknown number of Fire TV owners have ?. Will they develop games for it if they don't know how many Fire TV owners have a controller and if they do, what controller/remote?

Also comments on how voice search only works with Amazon content and if you use it with Youtube for example, it exits you out of Youtube and brings up results from Amazon. This is being seen as them railroading you into their own content.

The leak of Android TV coming has also killed its buzz to an extent

Killswitch
04-08-2014, 12:37 AM
Well we all knew they were going to try to steer you to their info/products.
Google TV or whatever it's called was timed perfectly to kill the momentum.
Now if another company would do something like that...

Hugo
04-08-2014, 12:46 AM
I noticed stories on it are starting to turn from the initial optimism to now commenting on its flaws.

CNET picked up on the storage issue, apparently getting low on storage can also affect video streaming. http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-fire-tv-as-game-console-the-good-bad-and-weird/
A lot of people have commented on the lack of controller coming standard from a gaming perspective. Basically what do devs develop for, the remote it comes with, or a controller of unknown feature set that an unknown number of Fire TV owners have ?. Will they develop games for it if they don't know how many Fire TV owners have a controller and if they do, what controller?

Also comments on how voice search only works with Amazon content and if you use it with Youtube for example, it exits you out of Youtube and brings up results from Amazon. This is being seen as them railroading you into their own content.

The leak of Android TV coming has also killed its buzz to an extent

The 1-star reviews are starting to shift my view a bit. Not everyone is having problems, but those that do have every single problem. Even the OUYA wasn't quite so bad off at the beginning. Most people had just a few issues, not all of them. That, and the people who are posting 1-star reviews are providing a comprehensive detailing of their experience and aren't just comparing it to everything else, so I'm far more comfortable taking them at their word. Reconsidering this purchase.

Killswitch
04-08-2014, 03:37 AM
Just like Ouya there'll be growing pains but a lot of 1 star reviews does not look good.

knave
04-08-2014, 05:45 PM
I haven't looked today, but last time I was reading reviews all the low reviews were from haters who did not have or want a Kindle fire...I'm not saying there aren't gripes...but I think this kinda skews the overall score.

That said: I'm not buying one, at least not until I can think of a reason to other than, "I want it".

:positive:

Hugo
04-08-2014, 09:16 PM
I haven't looked today, but last time I was reading reviews all the low reviews were from haters who did not have or want a Kindle fire...I'm not saying there aren't gripes...but I think this kinda skews the overall score.

That said: I'm not buying one, at least not until I can think of a reason to other than, "I want it".

:positive:

I read the lengthiest negative reviews to help formulate an opinion. I know better than to just take the number of ratings as a benchmark to start making decisions.

Victor Coleiro
04-08-2014, 11:46 PM
All the neg reviews I read are from people who bought one. And the points seem to be valid when looking at the amount of others saying pretty much the same thing.

flamepanther
04-09-2014, 07:10 AM
Their main focus FOR NOW is the media. Probably do the whole hard drive thing and all that later if they ramp up the game side or find a way to keep it all online since they've had networks for years.

They might try to sell some kind of AWS-based storage.

Killswitch
04-09-2014, 12:22 PM
They might try to sell some kind of AWS-based storage.
I was surprised that wasn't an option out the gate but it probably will be at some point soon. AWS is the answer to a lot of issues...now if someone else we know had something like this....

SlingShot
04-28-2014, 08:45 PM
Such hate. Mine doesn't have software or download issues. It works nice and fast. However as mentioned above the storage will become an issue they will need to address. Is it an OUYA killer ... not yet. But I think it has the potential. With big name games already on the system like Grand Theft Auto, Modern Combat 4, Asphalt 8, Minecraft etc. that all run well. It seems they are trying to get more quality games.

I will see what happens. I play the OUYA and FireTV about the same these days. I like them both.

Killswitch
04-29-2014, 12:04 AM
I have 3 sitting here. Might be tempted to open the box one day.

LightyKD
04-29-2014, 04:28 AM
I have 3 sitting here. Might be tempted to open the box one day.

Why do you have 3?

Kaimega
04-29-2014, 04:37 AM
Why do you have 3?

Because he is Killswitch. He would rather spend 300$ on a bunch of FireTVs that will never be opened instead of using that same money to buy a new TV. :D

Killswitch
04-29-2014, 04:40 AM
Why do you have 3?

Because I can.

Actually...1 was for me, 1 might have been for someone else, other might have gone in a giveaway.

LightyKD
04-29-2014, 01:03 PM
Because I can.

Actually...1 was for me, 1 might have been for someone else, other might have gone in a giveaway.

Gimme Fire TV so that I can go grab a grey wig and yell at my TV like Gary Busey. "Yeeeaaaahhhh! Amazon, Fire TV!" *giggle*

Killswitch
04-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Gary Busey...yeah why him of all people. Awkward.

timmytot666
04-29-2014, 01:13 PM
That commercial makes me wanna stab myself xD

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

LightyKD
04-29-2014, 02:06 PM
I find the commercial amusing. For some odd reason it makes me smile. Maybe because I like devices so much.

arcticdog
04-29-2014, 06:29 PM
Why the hell do companies don't get that we need external support from the get-go? There's literally no excuse I could give either Amazon, or OUYA Incorporate for this lack of a feature. I sighed so hard that the straw in my distant cup of RC Cola swung around like a rotor-blade. I could go into more detail but my brain is on fire right now. Argh, someone is going to get wrongfully strangled by me today because of this.

Two different reasons (on for each company), I imagine.
OUYA kind of shot themselves in the foot because Android prefers internal SD storage for apps on Ice Cream Sandwich or later. No internal SD card reader/writer = have to modify Android to think it's okay to store/execute apps off an external storage device accessed via USB. This was a mistake, I think. They were more or less the first ones here, so it's probably a bit more forgivable. Especially to get the device out the door and keep the price down.

With Amazon, it's the whole "Media streamer first, Games second" strategy. If/when they decide to go after the games market, they'll probably release a version with more memory and store saved games in AWS. If offline storage is really important, I imagine that new version will also sport an SD card reader/writer.

But I don't think any of these devices will be designed with hoarding apps in mind. For the most common use case, people generally only need 20 games or so in their library at a time.

I have firetv and have a total different experience. My downloads are super quick althought it does suck it has the same storage space as the ouya. I installed over 10 games and still have a little space. I hear they are going to support external usb storage in the near future. This thing smokes my ouya in every category.

ON top of that you can uninstall games and amazon keeps them in the cloud for redownload etc
You can uninstall your games on OUYA and re-download them from Discover as well. Your purchases aren't stored on your device. They're stored on your OUYA account on their servers.

Hydrus
04-29-2014, 06:42 PM
Your purchases aren't stored on your device. They're stored on your OUYA account on their servers.

There must be something stored on the console. I have gone through three accounts now and games purchased on my previous accounts appear purchased for my latest account too. The gamesaves from the other accounts also work. I can play Ittle Dew from where I left off previously.

Thinice
04-29-2014, 07:35 PM
There must be something stored on the console. I have gone through three accounts now and games purchased on my previous accounts appear purchased for my latest account too. The gamesaves from the other accounts also work. I can play Ittle Dew from where I left off previously.

That depends on how the developer saves the purchase data. Ouya saves a copy of the purchase receipt on their servers, but the developer can also save it locally so the game works when internet is off (this is not mandatory, but a good practice). If you can play the games purchased from previous accounts, that probably means that the receipt is still in there, and if the game does not check with the Ouya servers then you'll enjoy the full version.

Save data (progress through the game) is never stored in Ouya servers, but on the console itself (unless the developer uses its own servers for saving progress); so you'll be able to pick up your games right where you left them off.

Hydrus
04-29-2014, 09:47 PM
Save data (progress through the game) is never stored in Ouya servers, but on the console itself (unless the developer uses its own servers for saving progress); so you'll be able to pick up your games right where you left them off.

I was expecting it to be like on the Xbox 360 where the saves are tied to the accounts. To switch the account tied to the save data you need to rehash and resign the save.

Nitrogen_Widget
04-29-2014, 10:34 PM
That commercial makes me wanna stab myself xD

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

In that commercial Gary looks like he was going to stab everyone.