PDA

View Full Version : New sugestion - Ouya Stick

HugeMcNugget
04-07-2014, 04:39 PM
The main reason that I think an Ouya Stick would be awesome, is that I just found out that the Chromecast dongle is compatible with the Xbox One through the HDMI pass through input. Now just imagine if an Ouya Stick was produced and it was compatible with the Xbox One. You could just plug it into the Xbox One and have instant access to all of your Ouya apps, games, and emulators without the need for a seperate console. Also, if the developers could design it so that it could accept input directly from the Xbox One controller, that would make it even more awesome. The demand and sales of the Ouya would instantly go up with millions of potential Xbox One owners. What do you guys think?

Kaimega
04-07-2014, 04:42 PM
As a woman who is also CEO once said "You cannot fall in love with a dongle" :)

Hydrus
04-07-2014, 05:03 PM
It would be funny if a dongle came out and Discover was on it. The thought is interesting, but I think OUYA should avoid trying to be friends with everyone, especially the big dogs and should focus on providing a platform that does not depend on devices other than its own in order to entertain. This idea is also assuming that I have an Xbox One, but I don't the money to buy one and sustain it. It contradicts one of the factors for which I bought the OUYA, the low price. I can pay $99 and from the get-go play free games unlike other consoles. Another thought, but I don't think Microsoft would allow the OUYA to work with the Xbox One if free games are on Discover. It competes with their indie division.

HugeMcNugget
04-07-2014, 05:55 PM
I think OUYA should avoid trying to be friends with everyone, especially the big dogs and should focus on providing a platform that does not depend on devices other than its own in order to entertain.

Ouya is already doing this by bringing their platform to Mojo, PC and Mac. Why not the Xbox One as well?

It contradicts one of the factors for which I bought the OUYA, the low price. I can pay $99 and from the get-go play free games unlike other consoles.

It's not a contradiction. It's just having more options. I didn't buy an Ouya because I couldn't afford other consoles. I bought it to have more gaming options and variety.

Another thought, but I don't think Microsoft would allow the OUYA to work with the Xbox One if free games are on Discover. It competes with their indie division.

It's really not up to MS whether or not to "allow" this to happen. They have already built the technology into the Xbox One to make this possible. It's just up to Ouya whether or not they want to pursue it.

Jon_TWR
04-07-2014, 06:53 PM
Ouya is already doing this by bringing their platform to Mojo, PC and Mac. Why not the Xbox One as well?Because they're not bringing it to PC or Mac?

HugeMcNugget
04-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Because they're not bringing it to PC or Mac?

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/03/report-ouya-everywhere-puts-games-on-tv-pc-without-the-ouya/

Nitrogen_Widget
04-07-2014, 07:25 PM
I bought an HDMI hub for my port shortage on my tv.

also, I don't think a Tegra chip would fit in a dongle form factor.
The one in the OUYA looks like it requires a decent sized heatsink.
That could be because they use the faster model & are running it without heat worry constraints.

Hydrus
04-07-2014, 10:41 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/03/report-ouya-everywhere-puts-games-on-tv-pc-without-the-ouya/

The PC and television part in the article is the writer's interpretation from "other devices". That idea is incoherent. There is a twenty six page thread about that here (http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?10172-OUYA-%28store%29-to-start-embedding-in-other-hardware), if you'd like to read more about it.

Why not the Xbox One as well?

It's not a contradiction. It's just having more options. I didn't buy an Ouya because I couldn't afford other consoles. I bought it to have more gaming options and variety.

It's really not up to MS whether or not to "allow" this to happen. They have already built the technology into the Xbox One to make this possible. It's just up to Ouya whether or not they want to pursue it.

It's a waste of time. The majority of the people who bought the Xbox One won't care about the OUYA. They bought the Xbox One with Titanfall and Watch Dogs in mind, not the games on the OUYA. They also have all the media apps they need, that we don't have. Your idea of OUYA is a centrifugal one, my idea is that OUYA needs to be centripetal. Instead of moving "Everywhere" with unpolished software and forcing it upon people who don't want it, impress them with polished software and make them come to you. It is why I don't believe in this "Everywhere" movement. It doesn't make sense.

HugeMcNugget
04-07-2014, 11:52 PM
The majority of the people who bought the Xbox One won't care about the OUYA.

You really shouldn't stereotype people. I'm sure there are lots of Xbox One owners that like lots of different types of games.

Instead of moving "Everywhere" with unpolished software and forcing it upon people who don't want it,

First of all, who said the software will be unpolished? Have you even seen it yet? You're making an assumption. Secondly, nobody is forcing it on anybody. It's just an "option". Do you know what that is?

It is why I don't believe in this "Everywhere" movement.

No offense, but it's not up to you whether or not they go forward with the Ouya Everywhere initiative. The Ouya leadership team has already made that decision. I am merely making a suggestion about how to expand upon it. Also, I think that there would be quite a few Xbox One owners willing to by an Ouya Stick. They may not be willing to pony up $100 for a whole new console, to take up more room in their entertainment center, and another outlet on their power strip, and another HDMI port on their TV, but if given an option of spending $50 or less for something they could just plug into an existing console they own, that would give them so much more functionality and access to hundreds of free to inexpensive fun games, I think that a lot of people would take that option.

Hydrus
04-08-2014, 12:02 AM
I know. You wanted to know what my thoughts were, so I gave a small portion of them to you.

Killswitch
04-08-2014, 01:10 AM
Your idea of OUYA is a centrifugal one, my idea is that OUYA needs to be centripetal. Instead of moving "Everywhere" with unpolished software and forcing it upon people who don't want it, impress them with polished software and make them come to you. It is why I don't believe in this "Everywhere" movement. It doesn't make sense.

I agree and that includes sticks, portables and all that. If someone wants to make one then fine but Ouya should not be producing these extra things or worrying about being "everywhere". They have a lot to work on THEN maybe do all this other stuff.

undftdroar
04-08-2014, 01:18 AM
As a woman who is also CEO once said "You cannot fall in love with a dongle" :)

i love that interview, Julie is awesome.

Hugo
04-08-2014, 01:50 AM
You really shouldn't stereotype people. I'm sure there are lots of Xbox One owners that like lots of different types of games.

XBOX 360 best sellers throughout the entire development cycle:

Halo 3
CoD: Black Ops
CoD: Modern Warfare 2
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Halo: Reach
GTAIV
CoD4: Modern Warfare
CoD: World at War
Gears of War 3
Halo: ODST
Battlefield 4

XBOX One best sellers thus far:

Titanfall
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Battlefield 4

Face it, Microsoft is riddled with dudebros. ~85% of the 30ish games that sold over 1 million copies are military-esque shooters. As the OUYA isn't home to military-esque shooters, Hydrus was making a fair judgment.

As far as the stick idea is concerned, Julie did say that it's hard to fall in love with a dongle, and although I agree, the company has surprised me before.

Toasterkidd
04-08-2014, 07:23 AM
wait what! you can't fall in love with a tv stick cos its just a tv stick

Nitrogen_Widget
04-09-2014, 04:55 PM
XBOX 360 best sellers throughout the entire development cycle:

Halo 3
CoD: Black Ops
CoD: Modern Warfare 2
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Halo: Reach
GTAIV
CoD4: Modern Warfare
CoD: World at War
Gears of War 3
Halo: ODST
Battlefield 4

XBOX One best sellers thus far:

Titanfall
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Battlefield 4

Face it, Microsoft is riddled with dudebros. ~85% of the 30ish games that sold over 1 million copies are military-esque shooters. As the OUYA isn't home to military-esque shooters, Hydrus was making a fair judgment.

As far as the stick idea is concerned, Julie did say that it's hard to fall in love with a dongle, and although I agree, the company has surprised me before.

Hence why I have zero interest in xbox, microsoft's market strategies or any silly comparison people make about OUYA and xbox to try & justify their hate for it.

I had my fill of bunny hopper's back in my quake 3 days.
I traded them in for corps-campers in mmorpgs. :)

Boy, I can really go for being corps-camped from my couch.

HeadClot
04-09-2014, 08:16 PM
The main reason that I think an Ouya Stick would be awesome, is that I just found out that the Chromecast dongle is compatible with the Xbox One through the HDMI pass through input. Now just imagine if an Ouya Stick was produced and it was compatible with the Xbox One. You could just plug it into the Xbox One and have instant access to all of your Ouya apps, games, and emulators without the need for a seperate console. Also, if the developers could design it so that it could accept input directly from the Xbox One controller, that would make it even more awesome. The demand and sales of the Ouya would instantly go up with millions of potential Xbox One owners. What do you guys think?

Heat dissipation on a device like this would be terrible especially with emulators and apps that could take full advantage of the device.

I would not buy one for that reason - I would rather have a more traditional console (In terms of form factor/Feel) such as the OUYA as it is now. :)