PDA

View Full Version : Ouya should allow devs to link their Kickstarter campaigns to their app

Mscottson
04-07-2014, 03:00 PM
I noticed that a lot of Ouya kickstarters fail due to a lack of visibility. In order to remedy this I think that Ouya should allow devs to have an option to code a link to their kickstarter campaign from the console so that money can be sent directly to it while it's live. That would not only give more visibility to the several failed Kickstarters I've seen on the Ouya but it'd also give them a greater chance of success as personally I don't like giving money to a kickstarter campaign but since I already have my credit card on my Ouya it might give me more incentive. I don't know if that's something that can be done but since the Ouya was born out of Kickstarter I think it would not only give it a leg up against the FireTV but it'd really be in the spirit of the console.

That's my two cents... Good/bad idea?

mmartino
04-07-2014, 03:02 PM
There are several Kickstarters that had their Demo on Ouya in the Alpha/Beta section and sold the beta to generate income. It can be done if the devs want to.

Oldkid Livegen
04-07-2014, 03:11 PM
There are several Kickstarters that had their Demo on Ouya in the Alpha/Beta section and sold the beta to generate income. It can be done if the devs want to.

Yes, Neverending Nightmares is doing that, but that was after the Kickstarter campaign. I think the idea here is an option to back a game on Kickstarter from the Ouya itself.

Mscottson
04-07-2014, 03:11 PM
I suppose that's a possibility but I've seen several kickstarter demos without an option to donate and even kickstarters which have no demos (JetGetters, Hero Generations, DYNABOT: The Robo Marble, Elliot Quest,Super World Karts GP, etc) so I thought maybe there could be either a section in discover or even a seperate section that details these kickstarters to at least bring more attention to them.

xAD
04-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Well, it would certainly be ...different.
However, the corners of the Indie world I tend to hang out in have a violent knee-jerk anti-kickstarter reaction, so I can be certain such a decision would reduce OUYA's audience by some amount.

Killswitch
04-07-2014, 03:48 PM
I think it's an interesting idea BUT I don't know if it gives that much more visibility.
The visibility that's lacking is out on the web.
It's hard to find any game that is solely funded based on Ouya alone.

James Andrew Coote
04-08-2014, 10:56 PM
OUYA were giving the Free-The-Games-Fund kickstarter campaigns quite a lot of press attention about 6 months ago, but that seems to have subsided recently.

I've seen examples of games that display a link in-game directly to a current kickstarter campaign (not on OUYA mind). It can be a cool way to engage with existing users, and actually, it doesn't have to stop there necessarily: you can do all sorts of stuff, such as one-off in-game events, competitions, taking charity donations when a natural disaster strikes, and so on. Essentially, the game is the number one way to talk with users because ultimately, only a percentage are going to be bothered to seek you out on twitter or your fan forums, whilst everyone who plays is going to see the in-game stuff you advertise.

I think where it breaks down is taking people out of the game for starters isn't idea - You've spent so much time/effort/money to get them there in the first place, you don't want to be bringing them out of it as the first thing you do! Also, platforms like OUYA and other consoles aren't ideal for people viewing a kickstarter page in a web browser. That kind of thing lends itself much better to mobile or PC.

Hugo
04-08-2014, 11:30 PM
I refuse to pay people to help make their idea a reality, so I'd much rather not have the constant nagging reminder attached to every game. As a matter of fact, I've intentionally avoided every OUYA game that either has a thread for a kickstarter here on the forums or has one attached to their game in any way on Discover.

Although I consider IGN to be a horrible website a grand majority of the time, they occasionally nail it with an article. This one in particular sums up my feelings:
http://www.ign.com/blogs/13sponge3/2013/10/14/why-is-kick-starter-bad/

This quote in particular echoes exactly how I feel:

...someone could use Kick-starter's system to gauge how much money they will make on a particular product without taking any sort of risk on their part. The risk and reward system of traditional entrepreneurship is destroyed with a platform like Kick-starter. A business no longer has to compete to earn consumer dollars, all they have to do is promise a revival of an old classic game that people used to play in their childhood, and the funding limit is instantly met. If more than the funding limit is donated, that extra money also goes to the developers. A movie, game, or album's success is no longer determined by sales numbers and a devout fan-base, but by whomever is feeling the most nostalgic and has the biggest wallet. Products can be promised and must be fulfilled as per Kick-starter's guidelines, though there is no quality assurance mechanism. Lots of shovel-ware would be the result of this...

Firing up a Kickstarter is the equivalent of panhandling and solicitation. I'd rather hand $10 to a bum that isn't trying to get me to buy into their idea than hand a nickel to the now loosely-used term, "entrepreneur."

Nitrogen_Widget
04-09-2014, 04:44 PM
I honestly don't like this.
My kids have come to me a few times having ended up on a website when trying to play a game on the OUYA.

It's bad enough on their tablets, i'd like to keep it to a bare minimum on the console.

Jeffry84
04-10-2014, 03:34 PM
I honestly don't like this.
My kids have come to me a few times having ended up on a website when trying to play a game on the OUYA.

It's bad enough on their tablets, i'd like to keep it to a bare minimum on the console.

Without hijacking this thread much, this leads imo to the lack of an option for multiple users and the mandatory credit card registration issue. I'd like to see the possibility to create users with limited privileges (no buying, no browsing, just play the games as they are, whether they are unlocked or not...). I already see the Ouya as an unsafe environment, especially for children.

Nitrogen_Widget
04-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Without hijacking this thread much, this leads imo to the lack of an option for multiple users and the mandatory credit card registration issue. I'd like to see the possibility to create users with limited privileges (no buying, no browsing, just play the games as they are, whether they are unlocked or not...). I already see the Ouya as an unsafe environment, especially for children.

Well, for OUYA I have a pin number but my kids can watch me plug it in on the 50" screen. LOL!
But, I know my 7yr old knows better.
The 5yr old doesn't understand money yet.

spinal
04-11-2014, 05:20 PM
I can't be bothered to read all the replies, but why not just hyperlink from your app (title screen / credits screen / whatever) to the kickstarter page?