PDA

View Full Version : OUYA Arcade Stick Mod

undftdroar
04-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Found this on reddit

Ryan @ OUYA
http://www.reddit.com/r/ouya/comments/22bz5x/ouya_arcade_stick_mod/
Hey folks! I recently finished my first hardware mod on the OUYA, embedding it into an iCade Core to make a stand-alone arcade box for my dad and wanted to share it with you.

Here's the photo album of it taken apart:

http://goo.gl/W1KjCx

And a video of it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCYZExR0u8M

Software info:

I replaced the OUYA boot animation with the custom shimmering Mario coin seen in the video and wrote a custom RetroArch frontend to use as a Launcher replacement. What you won't see in the video (since it's boring) is that it still takes the OUYA about 30+ seconds to boot since I hadn't gone in and disabled the networking initialization which is waiting for a possible connection to be established. I modified RetroArch a bit in order to make the in-game controls screen work, making it call out to the Java Activity to pull up the dialog. The UI is run off of a simple JSON file that describes the game filename, title and little bit of history seen in the video. It's nothing fancy but since the goal is to get into a game it doesn't need much.

Hardware technical info:

I removed the Bluetooth motherboard from the iCade and used a Teensy 2.0 to turn the stick and buttons into a standard USB controller. To save space the USB cable is soldered directly onto the OUYA and then plugged into the Teensy. I removed the original wiring and microswitches from the iCade, put in softer switches and created ribbon cables for them for easy opening of the box. The Teensy and OUYA are held down to the case with a super-high-tech system of hot-glued zip tie ends that I cut to act like clips. I removed the OUYA's power button and indicator LED, created a miniature break-out board with sockets and re-used the existing LED on the iCade.

Killswitch
04-07-2014, 07:38 AM
Probably best for emulators and all that.
Nice mod.
Too bad it's on Reddit :p

Nitrogen_Widget
04-07-2014, 04:01 PM
This is cool.
Never heard of a Teensy.

knave
04-07-2014, 05:13 PM
I am really impressed. This is great! I love that you made your own frontend and replaced the graphic.

Are you willing to write up a bit of a tutorial for others to follow in your footsteps? :beguiled:

itaparcade.com
04-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Ryan was originally motivated from an iCade Core I sent in to OUYA. The Teensy is now officially supported on the OUYA so you can create natively supported Arduino based arcade sticks. I will blog about this later, but for now check out itaparcade.com I am encouraging third-party controller development using Arduino.

Steven7
04-18-2014, 06:10 PM
ˇnow thats rad!

Sent from my OUYA Console

allenhuffman
04-19-2014, 06:25 AM
Found this on reddit

I am glad to run across this. I have done work on using a Teensy 2.0 to hook Atari 2600 joysticks to an iPad via USB, and have been working on a project to let me plug up various types of USB devices and translate them to iCade format.

I have not been able to get any of my USB joysticks to work with the Ouya except a USB Atari recreation, and it plan to make my converter project handle input from the fighter stick I have and emit compatible USB joystick stuff for the Ouya. I just need to find time to work on it. Knowing this is possible makes me experimenting seem more hopeful.

Killswitch
04-19-2014, 06:46 AM
Figured I'd see itaparcade here too :)
You guys seem to have this stuff locked down.
Welcome to the forum and community.
Feel free to share.

itaparcade.com
04-19-2014, 12:54 PM
Appreciate the welcome! We believe the combination of indie software + indie hardware is great for the OUYA. This forum is important for making sure information gets out about all the cool hardware mods that compliment indie developers. We will definitely be sharing as we make progress!