PDA

View Full Version : Amazon announces $99 Fire TV set-top box, available now

mdwright1032
04-02-2014, 05:58 PM
I got an ouya for xmas and really wanted to like it but it had many flaws.

1. Horrible wifi issues
2. Bluetooth controller issues
3. Many hours tinkering to get advanced apps to work
4. Very few good games on the marketplace.
5. A horrible indie community. 8bit love affair on the ouya

This should be everything we wanted the ouya to be http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/2/5573818/amazon-announces-fire-tv

timmytot666
04-02-2014, 05:59 PM
That makes me laugh cause I don't have any of those issues. Leave it up to user error/ignorance to fuel anger ; D

Kaimega
04-02-2014, 06:01 PM
I got an ouya for xmas and really wanted to like it but it had many flaws.

1. Horrible wifi issues
2. Bluetooth controller issues
3. Many hours tinkering to get advanced apps to work
4. Very few good games on the marketplace.
5. A horrible indie community. 8bit love affair on the ouya

This should be everything we wanted the ouya to be http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/2/5573818/amazon-announces-fire-tv

1. & 2. Never had those issues, and fixed in later versions
3. User Experience, has nothign to do with the console - you think Amazon's device is going to be supporting sideloading and such?
4. Subjective
5. Subjective

I have enjoyed my OUYA, and enjoyed the games for it. I have also listed many threads about games that are actually quite good/amazing that are not "8-bit looking" graphics. This Amazon device, quite frankly, does nothing for me.

SlingShot
04-02-2014, 06:06 PM
I definitely have had issue #2. With multiple controllers. Amazon will unfortunately blow the OUYA out of the water. I will be buying one ... for streaming if nothing else.

Jon_TWR
04-02-2014, 06:07 PM
That makes me laugh cause I don't have any of those issues. Leave it up to user error/ignorance to fuel anger ; DTimmy, 1 and 2 are well documented issues that effect many users, even if there are also many users unaffected. I know you know this, but your post implies that mdwright1032 must've been doing something wrong and you damn sure know better.

Add to that OUYA, Inc's poor track record with...well, almost every decision/announcement they've made vs Amazon's track record with their ecosystem and hardware, and I can see how people would think that about the release of the FireTV.

It's going to so outsell the OUYA that it won't even be funny. No, gaming isn't its primary purpose...but it'll still have more people playing games on it with a physical controller than there are on all the OUYAs that have been sold, and very quickly.

That said, I hope OUYA is able to survive as an ecosystem that publishes a reference device every year.

arcticdog
04-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Amazon will be a force to be reckoned with, but I think it's premature to say it's the demise of OUYA just yet. Their marketing effort is clearly aimed at Roku and Apple TV. That doesn't mean it's less of a threat, but they're battling for the official box to stream video to more than games.

What will be more devastating is Apple's reaction (if they have one). Especially if they finally enable developers to publish games to Apple TV.

mdwright1032
04-02-2014, 06:08 PM
--deleted post--

1. The ouya is notorious for wifi and bluetooth issues. I got a brand new ouya on xmas 2013 and they were still having this issues
2. I don't care who you are, if you want the ouya to run xbmc or any other advanced app it takes alot of research

timmytot666
04-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Prolly won't be picking this up. Unless the netflix app streams better then Android's. I'll prolly buy it to try and extract it.

derty
04-02-2014, 06:09 PM
That makes me laugh cause I don't have any of those issues. Leave it up to user error/ignorance to fuel anger ; D

Word.
The minuscule problems I had are easily over come and no longer an issue :)

OUYA FOREVER!!

Kaimega
04-02-2014, 06:11 PM
1. The ouya is notorious for wifi and bluetooth issues. I got a brand new ouya on xmas 2013 and they were still having this issues
2. I don't care who you are, if you want the ouya to run xbmc or any other advanced app it takes alot of research

It is known, but it doesn't happen to everyone. Regardless of it being documented or not. Also stated, newer revisions (ie: white and black ones) don't have these issues either.

there is OUYA for XBMC, but research is a common thing. This is no different than trying to get an apk to work on a tablet or phone. Anything that is generally out of a devices' initial scope will take research.

Jon_TWR
04-02-2014, 06:12 PM
2. I don't care who you are, if you want the ouya to run xbmc or any other advanced app it takes alot of researchIt didn't take a lot of research for me to get XBMC running to my satisfaction. I downloaded the app from Discover and I think I googled "setting up XBMC" or something similar, followed a few simple instructions and it's been working fine for me ever since.

knave
04-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Meh...Twice as expensive as the OUYA once you add a controller and HDMI cable. and optical cable (should use one since it's got it.) It needs HBOgo to really interest me.
It is a good device to consume Amazon content...but meh...
Until its rooted...???

1. Never had any Wifi issues with either of my OUYAs
2. Had this issue, sent in two controllers to get the latest firmware good to go now.
3. XBMC just works...
4. There is plenty of content for me...
5. I have had a pretty good experience with the community...both here and the OUYA team.

:)

timmytot666
04-02-2014, 06:13 PM
Good to see there are positive people on here Knave ^_^

mdwright1032
04-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Anyone wanna buy a barely used ouya? 50 bucks.

I really wanted to like the ouya but man the company is run so backwards. Ouya only has 1 or two exclusive games that are any good, it's library still stinks, and the box was just not built that well. Firetv looks to be a much better option imo

I merged your posts, please use the edit button next time. -Kaimega

timmytot666
04-02-2014, 06:16 PM
I'll buy it for 20 if you cover shipping. Merge posts please.

itsalljustaride
04-02-2014, 06:16 PM
Word.
The minuscule problems I had are easily over come and no longer an issue :)

OUYA FOREVER!!

Don't forget everyone, Roku tried throwing in gaming on its device long ago, and it never amounted to much of anything. Time will tell with this, but it does have some more horsepower and the Amazon brand backing it, but who knows.

mdwright1032
04-02-2014, 06:18 PM
Meh...Twice as expensive as the OUYA once you add a controller and HDMI cable. and optical cable (should use one since it's got it.) It needs HBOgo to really interest me.
It is a good device to consume Amazon content...but meh...
Until its rooted...???

1. Never had any Wifi issues with either of my OUYAs
2. Had this issue, sent in two controllers to get the latest firmware good to go now.
3. XBMC just works...
4. There is plenty of content for me...
5. I have had a pretty good experience with the community...both here and the OUYA team.

:)

Wrong

I just purchased fire tv, the game controller (it includes a $10 free voucher and game) for $138. It comes with an hdmi and besides you can find an hdmi or optical cable for like 2 bucks on amazon. How is that twice as expensive?

I do know it comes with a quad core processor, a seperate gpu, and 2 gb's of ram.

I'll buy it for 20 if you cover shipping. Merge posts please.

Ha even you don't want to pay much for an ouya

Merged Again. Please Use The Edit Button Next Time.

timmytot666
04-02-2014, 06:19 PM
It does NOT come with an HDMI cable.. look at "Whats in the box" no audio/visual cables at all.

Jon_TWR
04-02-2014, 06:25 PM
It does NOT come with an HDMI cable.. look at "Whats in the box" no audio/visual cables at all.It is known.

Man, too bad there's no HBOGo app...people might not get that reference! ;)

Oooh, can I use it as a Kindle, and read my books on the big screen while sitting on the couch?

timmytot666
04-02-2014, 06:26 PM
I would be buying it for your used controller. I have 3 ouyas already and don't need another one.

flclfanman
04-02-2014, 06:30 PM
This Fire TV looks to be another movie/media box with gaming features added on.

For all the issues Ouya has (few with my experience) you might regret the limited freedoms you'll have with this Amazon device:

-Good luck sideloading all your GP apps and data over.

-You have a version of a game you bought on Google Play? Too Bad, now buy the Amazon version of it and regain your progress.

-This UI will be locked up tighter than Fort Knox. Even if you jail-break it, there goes your warranty (so be careful not to break it :D ).

Even in it's advertising, the FireTV is CLEARLY selling itself as a media box 1st and gaming as a tertiary function (behind Media and web browsing) while the Ouya GAMING CONSOLE focuses on just that; gaming first. Media you can do later and pretty well.

In closing, if you're excited about this over Ouya, you've missed the point of Ouya entirely.

Dan Fu
04-02-2014, 06:45 PM
I just looked at their website and it seems that the firetv is just a kindle fire that you plug into a tv which means it's going to share the same apps and games as the kindle fire. If this is true than Ouya has nothing to worry about as the gamestore on the kindle fire is pretty terrible.

janthony
04-02-2014, 06:52 PM
I think you would have to be a fool not to get one. Just wait for a hacker to clean out the Amazon OS and install Ouya's, now you have a kick ass Ouya. What's the problem.

flclfanman
04-02-2014, 06:52 PM
I just looked at their website and it seems that the firetv is just a kindle fire that you plug into a tv which means it's going to share the same apps and games as the kindle fire. If this is true than Ouya has nothing to worry about as the gamestore on the kindle fire is pretty terrible.

Looking at their controller explanation videa there was no mention of touch screen capability so thats almost 70% of the Amazon game library that's unplayable at the moment. Although they'll probably try to tweak this like Madcatz did with the M.O.J.O.

knave
04-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Wrong
I just purchased fire tv, the game controller (it includes a $10 free voucher and game) for $138. It comes with an hdmi and besides you can find an hdmi or optical cable for like 2 bucks on amazon. How is that twice as expensive?

I am Wrong all the time...but not THIS time. OUYA can be bought on sale for around $69...sometimes with a $25 credit. Me...I paid $85 minus the $25 credit or ~$60 for my 2nd OUYA. $60 x 2 = $120.
The Fire TV as you report it costs $128 and you still have to come up with your own cables. Just math...FireTV at $128 is more expensive than twice what I paid for my last OUYA.

Don't get me wrong, Fire TV sounds great...for consuming all things Amazon...and Netflix. But I have a Roku for that...so it would need a bit more to draw me away from the OUYA's awesome XBMC experience alone, not to mention that I like trying out the new offerings in the Discover store.
I find that given a chance many games on the OUYA will surprise you in how much pure fun they are. :positive:

Good to see there are positive people on here Knave ^_^

I am positive! thanks!

Jon_TWR
04-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Looking at their controller explanation videa there was no mention of touch screen capability so thats almost 70% of the Amazon game library that's unplayable at the moment. Although they'll probably try to tweak this like Madcatz did with the M.O.J.O.Looks like there's a button for mouse mode on the controller, so that might be a work around (though a cludgy one, admittedly).

SlingShot
04-02-2014, 07:06 PM

Still far better selection than the OUYA store ... not sure what you mean.

knave
04-02-2014, 07:07 PM
I am more interested in the voice search button on the remote.
How cool to just tell your TV what you want to watch...
...I suppose I can do that with the cromecast though...Hmmm

:positive:

flclfanman
04-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Looks like there's a button for mouse mode on the controller, so that might be a work around (though a cludgy one, admittedly).

Possibly, but I remember M.O.J.O. having a similar function and still having compatibility problems. I expect Amazon to figure it out though.

SlingShot
04-02-2014, 07:10 PM

For all the issues Ouya has (few with my experience) you might regret the limited freedoms you'll have with this Amazon device:

-You have a version of a game you bought on Google Play? Too Bad, now buy the Amazon version of it and regain your progress.

-This UI will be locked up tighter than Fort Knox. Even if you jail-break it, there goes your warranty (so be careful not to break it :D ).

Even in it's advertising, the FireTV is CLEARLY selling itself as a media box 1st and gaming as a tertiary function (behind Media and web browsing) while the Ouya GAMING CONSOLE focuses on just that; gaming first. Media you can do later and pretty well.

In closing, if you're excited about this over Ouya, you've missed the point of Ouya entirely.

I think it is smart of them to market the gaming as kind of an afterthought. You do not want people to assume this is a gaming powerhouse that will blow away a ps4.

Amazon may be a little more restrictive. Trust me I love OUYA's openness. But it all comes down to experience. If this box games better ... it wins. If it doesn't ... I still play OUYA.

Dan Fu
04-02-2014, 07:13 PM
Still far better selection than the OUYA store ... not sure what you mean.

Do you have a kindle? Just because it's on the "amazon store" doesn't mean it's on the "kindle store". I've only found a few games worth playing on the kindle (terraria, minecraft, galaxy on fire, avernum). While those are all great games that the Ouya should be jealous of amazon just hasn't been in a hurry to add more quality games to it's kindle selection. Now; if the they optimize the games from the amazon store for the firetv then they will have something but I have a feeling that amazon isn't quite ready for that.

flclfanman
04-02-2014, 07:14 PM
I think it is smart of them to market the gaming as kind of an afterthought. You do not want people to assume this is a gaming powerhouse that will blow away a ps4.

Amazon may be a little more restrictive. Trust me I love OUYA's openness. But it all comes down to experience. If this box games better ... it wins. If it doesn't ... I still play OUYA.

I respect Amazon's vision on this device (pretty straightforward actually), but it irks me when some people say this device built for media will take down this device built for gaming; apples and oranges despite both of them being microconsoles.

arcticdog
04-02-2014, 07:15 PM

Well.. Fire TV is aiming at streaming/media entertainment right now because that's where the money is.

If Apple shoots back with an update that allows games to be published, that will be uncharted territory that will be important to do better than the other. If they have wide spread adoption, it's not difficult to amp up the game side of the marketing later.

So while OUYA is probably not a direct competitor to Fire TV or anything in this bracket going forward, it's certainly in danger of being collateral damage. Most of the points you've made are very solid reasons, but I'm afraid the casual consumer (Amazon's target) aren't even going to be thinking about those things.

Looking at their controller explanation videa there was no mention of touch screen capability so thats almost 70% of the Amazon game library that's unplayable at the moment. Although they'll probably try to tweak this like Madcatz did with the M.O.J.O.
That's why they're saying 100's of games and not 1000's. I'm sure they're going through their catalog to see what's compatible and reaching out to developers who have games that would benefit from a controller.

It would be as if OUYA had 1000 games dumped on them in one day. They would still need to sift through them to see what works.

SlingShot
Do you have a kindle? Just because it's on the "amazon store" doesn't mean it's on the "kindle store". I've only found a few games worth playing on the kindle (terraria, minecraft, galaxy on fire, avernum). While those are all great games that the Ouya should be jealous of amazon just hasn't been in a hurry to add more quality games to it's kindle selection. Now; if the they optimize the games from the amazon store for the firetv then they will have something but I have a feeling that amazon isn't quite ready for that.

I do have a kindle fire. And a google play enabled tablets. Google play is by far the winner. But comparing game selection on kindle fire vs what is on ouya?.... no contest in my mind. Kindle has far more. And far more quality games too.

rushmore
Commercially, Ouya has never really been alive to be dead. It is a niche device that folks should just enjoy and not dwell on success in markets.

mdwright1032
04-02-2014, 07:21 PM

It seems there will be tons of games by may

http://segmentnext.com/2014/04/02/amazon-fire-tv-announced-works-games-video-streaming/

knave
04-02-2014, 07:23 PM
Real question is can you side-load your own apps...?
:torn:

timmytot666
04-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Lol pretty sure you can't sideload on any kindle unless you root it.

arcticdog
04-02-2014, 07:24 PM
It could turn out that this announcement is good for OUYA. Now that they know what one of their biggest competitors is doing, it gives them an idea of where they need to improve to compete. It gives them the opportunity to "adapt or die". They've sort of been in that mode already, so I'm sure this announcement isn't too terribly surprising to the team.

Lots of pressure, but the time window to "one-up" is now or very soon.

In the end, the consumer will win. OUYA will get more powerful, or it won't. But regardless, it shows there will be options for this kind of gaming going forward.

As a developer.. the more the merrier.

timmytot666
04-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Hopefully they take this opportunity to get Netflix/Hulu on board.

mdwright1032
04-02-2014, 07:26 PM
I am Wrong all the time...but not THIS time. OUYA can be bought on sale for around $69...sometimes with a $25 credit. Me...I paid $85 minus the $25 credit or ~$60 for my 2nd OUYA. $60 x 2 = $120.
The Fire TV as you report it costs $128 and you still have to come up with your own cables. Just math...FireTV at $128 is more expensive than twice what I paid for my last OUYA.

Don't get me wrong, Fire TV sounds great...for consuming all things Amazon...and Netflix. But I have a Roku for that...so it would need a bit more to draw me away from the OUYA's awesome XBMC experience alone, not to mention that I like trying out the new offerings in the Discover store.
I find that given a chance many games on the OUYA will surprise you in how much pure fun they are. :positive:

I am positive! thanks!

You can't count whats on sale. If you pay the full price for ouya it's still $99. If fire tv was out for almost a year like ouya I am sure you could snag up one for the same price. Apples to oranges

SlingShot
Lol pretty sure you can't sideload on any kindle unless you root it.

Not true. You can sideload. I dont know if that will be true for the firetv though. What i want to know is if there will be expandable storage? 8 gigs isnt too much.

knave
I wonder how the hoops are to develop for the kindle tv store? :distrust:

mmartino
04-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Not true. You can sideload. I dont know if that will be true for the firetv though. What i want to know is if there will be expandable storage? 8 gigs isnt too much.

It only comes with 8GB?! Everyone should have learned from Ouya's mistake... would hope they at least allow you to expand it otherwise this issue is basically dead

SlingShot
04-02-2014, 07:30 PM
It only comes with 8GB?! Everyone should have learned from Ouya's mistake... would hope they at least allow you to expand it otherwise this issue is basically dead

Agreed.

knave
04-02-2014, 07:34 PM

Also like the OUYA there is only one USB port. (I was also surprised when I read about the 8gigs this morning). :concern:

Pat1986
04-02-2014, 07:43 PM
too bad this sweet machine is not available in europe yet. i'm really interested.

takedownmak
04-02-2014, 07:44 PM
HEY!! GUYS!! i know what would be fun how bout i go on An OUYA Forum and talk about how much i hate the OUYA and how much i think it sucks, Oh and then talk about a new console that i just bought and love so much, im sure this well cause a huge backlash. (trollface)
1. first of all The amazon app store sucks and has a shit ton of drm in ten years you probably won't be able to play the games u bought.
2. all of what you complained about has been fixed with updates and the new Matte black OUYA.
3. saying that there is few good games on OUYA is your opinion.... so your saying that games like towerfall, bombsquad, dubwars, Knightmare tower, Amazing frog, the cave, shadowgun, neon shadow, meltdown, ittledew, Killing floor Calamity, Clark, Soulfjord, Fist of awesome, Fist puncher, Stellar ghosts, Laza Knitez, Ultionus, Chronoblade, Minigore 2, Maldita castilla............. the list goes on are bad games?????? imo i don't see how u can say OUYA has no game's

Pat1986
04-02-2014, 07:54 PM
well..maybe OUYA sees a chance in it and finally pushes XBMC on OUYA or maybe brings their own made Mediaplayer. Open Console + great open mediaplayer would make the OUYA an killer since with all that set top boxes you're mostly forced to DRM stuff.

Jon_TWR
04-02-2014, 07:57 PM
well..maybe OUYA sees a chance in it and finally pushes XBMC on OUYA or maybe brings their own made Mediaplayer. Open Console + great open mediaplayer would make the OUYA an killer since with all that set top boxes you're mostly forced to DRM stuff.Um...XBMC *is* on OUYA. It's in the Discover store.

FunInfusedGames
04-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Can someone here compare the power of the Ouya vs the power of the FireTV? I'm not that familiar with Android system specs.

That said, this seems like a pretty big blow to Ouya. I think the Ouya system, while not perfect, isn't bad. I think the biggest issue Ouya has is that casual gamers don't know what it is and I've been hoping to see more promotion to get consumer excited. FireTV is going to have Amazon's backing and they should not have that problem, they will quickly (if not already) be more well known than Ouya. Adding all these streaming services is smart and something I'd hoped Ouya would do, I think that is the quickest way to get consumer support.

My existing Ouya games haven't sold well (VolChaos and Abduction Action!) which makes my desire to release more low. Right now I see FireTV doing a lot of the things I'd hoped Ouya would do and with a much stronger company behind them.

flclfanman
04-02-2014, 08:07 PM
It could turn out that this announcement is good for OUYA. Now that they know what one of their biggest competitors is doing, it gives them an idea of where they need to improve to compete. It gives them the opportunity to "adapt or die". They've sort of been in that mode already, so I'm sure this announcement isn't too terribly surprising to the team.

Lots of pressure, but the time window to "one-up" is now or very soon.

In the end, the consumer will win. OUYA will get more powerful, or it won't. But regardless, it shows there will be options for this kind of gaming going forward.

As a developer.. the more the merrier.

I can agree with this. Maybe this will push Ouya to get a native Netflix or Hulu app on the Discover store ( I prefer XBMC, but Netflix and Hulu are so common it's practically a selling point for others).

RiotingSpectre
04-02-2014, 08:11 PM
There's no direct competition to be had here since it's focusing on the others while also focusing on media capabilities at its primary source of use and entertainment. As arcticdog said, we're of little fear of an anti-OUYA initiative to sink us, but the collateral damage assertion is true since even a new tablet coming out with shininess would detract OUYA Incorporate from a purchase if the customer gets swayed enough. This unfortunately just happens to be more related to OUYA than just some tablet so there might be more swaying this time around. The Amazon FireTv is without a doubt back by a powerful company that is a master in the field of business and electronics to boot. There's going to be a big struggle-war to be had here with a lot of losses at hand.

Furthermore, while I won't be getting one due to the fact that I'm not big on media. I however can't deny that just owning a console that is backed by Amazon (a company which I'm neutral towards) is a pleasing acquisition. The gaming aspect of the console will no doubt expand because video games are one of the biggest means to gain money and even rival the movies industry these days in revenue so Amazon will be all over that like stink on cheese once the inevitable demand is seen if not seen already. With the OUYA console under storm by everybody including its own user-base alongside the fact that its uniqueness is down; who knows what might happen. All I do know is that OUYA Incorporate has to do something, or it will be facing dire situations unprepared.

Um...XBMC *is* on OUYA. It's in the Discover store.

He's probably talking about a legitimate version with all the codec supports and blah-blah. Too bad the majority doesn't know how to side-load, or I'd be disagreeing with him about its relevancy.

Pat1986
04-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Um...XBMC *is* on OUYA. It's in the Discover store.

i know, but it's outdated, feels like a rushed port and is missing essential codecs. And yes i'm using the latest beta (13.3) as well on ouya. still there's much space to improve. OUYAs communiaction regarding its Multimedia features is really poor.

takedownmak
04-02-2014, 08:23 PM
so even though i said the things i said i might still get one lol im conflicted im not sure what to think about all of this..... this is a launch exclusive for amazon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXI898kyBgM

James Andrew Coote
04-02-2014, 08:23 PM
I expect sideloading will be possible without rooting for the same reason as it is possible on Kindle Fire, which is to allow developers to get their apps on device. If you can connect other controllers (PS3, Xbox 360), then the point about it not coming with a controller will fade into the background. Plus it's easy for retailers to upsell a bundle that comes with controller as standard. Finally, it looks like Amazon are aware of the issue with games that are designed for touch screen and have restricted their store as such.

The real killer app though is netflix. I predicted Amazon would pitch it first and foremost as a TV-streaming device, despite it really being about games. And that's exactly what they've done. If you look at tablets and phones, the biggest single use case for them is gaming, but they are not marketed as such because "games consoles" come with a lot of baggage and history, and most casual consumers don't identify with the "gamer" stereotype. But this is definitely a games console.

If this thing starts shifting millions of units, it legitimises what OUYA have been trying to do, though that'd be fairly academic, since it'd be Amazon enjoying that success, not OUYA.

This isn't the end of OUYA, but it really makes it near impossible now for OUYA to ever reach mass market, and relegates it to a tiny niche/bit player. Both in terms of OUYA boxes sold and getting OUYA Discover store on other devices. I expect TV manufacturers will now want to partner with Amazon to get Kindle TV integrated into their sets, rather than tiny little OUYA.

Edit: Also, from a purely selfish point of view, as a developer this is great. I can make my game and put it on both OUYA and Kindle TV. OUYA could even be a good place to soft launch or beta (though that's cold comfort for OUYA fans. I don't think it's a viable business model to be the place where games gestate before going to the bigger platforms)

Jon_TWR
04-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Can someone here compare the power of the Ouya vs the power of the FireTV? I'm not that familiar with Android system specs.
From what I can tell from the Google, the SOC in the FireTV is more powerful than the Tegra 3 but less powerful than the Tegra 4. So the FireTV is a little more powerful than the OUYA, but with twice the RAM. Which means it should be able to handle just about anything devs throw at it, since the OUYA's biggest weakness seems to be in its lack of RAM...even with that, it does damn well on a surprising number of "demanding" titles that are simply well optimized.

That said, this seems like a pretty big blow to Ouya. I think the Ouya system, while not perfect, isn't bad. I think the biggest issue Ouya has is that casual gamers don't know what it is and I've been hoping to see more promotion to get consumer excited. FireTV is going to have Amazon's backing and they should not have that problem, they will quickly (if not already) be more well known than Ouya. Adding all these streaming services is smart and something I'd hoped Ouya would do, I think that is the quickest way to get consumer support. I actually don't think this is really a blow to the OUYA. In fact, I don't think it's much of an issue to OUYA. I think OUYA, Inc is their own biggest obstacle/stumbling block.

Yeah, I'd like to see more promotion of OUYA, but it seems like OUYA, Inc doesn't have the ability to produce enough systems to make this a viable option--it does them no good if people want their system but they're not able to make enough to keep up with demand...which ties in nicely with my theory that OUYA is its own biggest obstacle.

My existing Ouya games haven't sold well (VolChaos and Abduction Action!) which makes my desire to release more low. Right now I see FireTV doing a lot of the things I'd hoped Ouya would do and with a much stronger company behind them.Seems like you'll face similar challenges on the FireTV store as you would on OUYA...sure, there may be a lot more potential customers, but very quickly I think it'll be difficult to make your game stand out to consumers, let alone get them to buy it. But good luck, on whatever app stores you end up on!

Pat1986
04-02-2014, 08:29 PM
so even though i said the things i said i might still get one lol im conflicted im not sure what to think about all of this..... this is a launch exclusive for amazon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXI898kyBgM

i really hope OUYA comes up with anything related the next OUYA Hardware before this comes out in europe...otherwise...

RiotingSpectre
04-02-2014, 08:31 PM
I expect sideloading will be possible without rooting for the same reason as it is possible on Kindle Fire, which is to allow developers to get their apps on device. If you can connect other controllers (PS3, Xbox 360), then the point about it not coming with a controller will fade into the background. Plus it's easy for retailers to upsell a bundle that comes with controller as standard. Finally, it looks like Amazon are aware of the issue with games that are designed for touch screen and have restricted their store as such.

The real killer app though is netflix. I predicted Amazon would pitch it first and foremost as a TV-streaming device, despite it really being about games. And that's exactly what they've done. If you look at tablets and phones, the biggest single use case for them is gaming, but they are not marketed as such because "games consoles" come with a lot of baggage and history, and most casual consumers don't identify with the "gamer" stereotype. But this is definitely a games console.

If this thing starts shifting millions of units, it legitimises what OUYA have been trying to do, though that'd be fairly academic, since it'd be Amazon enjoying that success, not OUYA.

This isn't the end of OUYA, but it really makes it near impossible now for OUYA to ever reach mass market, and relegates it to a tiny niche/bit player. Both in terms of OUYA boxes sold and getting OUYA Discover store on other devices. I expect TV manufacturers will now want to partner with Amazon to get Kindle TV integrated into their sets, rather than tiny little OUYA.

Hmm, what would your propose OUYA Incorporate to do next? Hire more public relations, get a marketing division, put some super-sneakers on OUYA Everywhere? You're claiming that the Amazon Firetv box is a gaming console while media takes a back seat if not equal priority. While I could agree with the latter, the former however is skeptical at best for the time being. I personally think OUYA Incorporate should get Netflix finally on the console, get the codecs back on XBMC, hire some sort of gaming company to deliver timed exclusive content, improve public relations, get a marketing division, and just go all out if they can.

If the company we're supporting has any cards of their sleeves saved for later then I think they need to be played now. Their poker face is good, but Amazon just played a straight and I think we need to play our flush if we have one.

Athlor
04-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Nowhere could I find technical specs on it which is suspicious in itself. But it states it's 3x faster than it's rivals that use single and dual cores. Hmm... It wouldn't surprised me at all if it used the same Tegra 3 that the Ouya has. Surely it couldn't have anything faster. Once again, people are getting all worked up over nothing.

It would be nice to try Sev Zero on the Ouya.
I also notice they list a Minecraft Pocket version working on it. So either they have a special version that might work on the Ouya as well or it already is capable of tricking some touchscreen games to work as a controller game, like the MOJO.

Pat1986
04-02-2014, 08:34 PM
getting amazon instant video on ouya would he...oh wait.

RiotingSpectre
04-02-2014, 08:34 PM
i really hope OUYA comes up with anything related the next OUYA Hardware before this comes out in europe...otherwise...

Don't leave us! The game looks incredible though, I must admit.

Pat1986
04-02-2014, 08:38 PM
yeah, looks quite nice. eventhough gameplay seems super simple.

Magnesus
04-02-2014, 08:39 PM
I wonder how the hoops are to develop for the kindle tv store? :distrust:

Amazon has a thorough review process which sometimes does weird things but you can always work out any issue with them. They might block low quality games for Fire TV (they don't for Kinde Fire though).
They have excellent developer support. They pay very fast and without problems. They also have leaderboard and achievement system which they hugely promote (by offering incentives to developers who use it).
They also sometimes send developers free devices for participating in some of their programs if they qualify. All in all - I prefer working with them than with Google which has NO support whatsoever and all contact with them results in a response made by a bot.

Can someone here compare the power of the Ouya vs the power of the FireTV?

They use Adreno 320, but it is separate from the CPU (so not a SoC!) which is weird and suggests some overclocking or custom work...
Adreno 320 comes in different versions but Amazon probably used the fastest one (knowing Amazon) which is about 3x faster than Tegra3 (judging by a quick Wikipedia comparison only though, so don't take that for granted). It supports Open GL ES 3.0 but not full OpenGL like Tegra K1.

In worst case scenario it uses the same specs as Kindle Fire HD - which runs my game at 60FPS without problem while OUYA had problems running it at 30FPS (at the same, fullHD resolution). So at least for 2D games it's much better (probably thanks to higher fillrate capabilities).

And never underestimate Amazon - read this if you have doubts about their determination: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-10/jeff-bezos-and-the-age-of-amazon-excerpt-from-the-everything-store-by-brad-stone

And if Amazon did it, expect Apple, Samsung and Google to also do it in the future. So the microconsole with media box thing should bloom. :)

PS. I actually might be wrong, but other test say it might be much more than 3 times faster than Tegra3.

RiotingSpectre
04-02-2014, 08:42 PM
yeah, looks quite nice. eventhough gameplay seems super simple.

Yeah. Almost makes me want to be an Administrator of an Unofficial Amazon FireTv Forum.

Pat1986
04-02-2014, 08:44 PM
lol. You musn't leave either!

Jon_TWR
04-02-2014, 08:51 PM
Um, they DO tell you which SOC it uses, right in the Techinical details section. You just have to scroll down to get there. Here, I'll save you some time:

SOC Platform Qualcomm Snapdragon 8064
Processor Qualcomm Krait 300, quad-core to 1.7 Ghz
GPU Qualcomm Adreno 320
Storage 8 GB internal
Memory 2 GB LPDDR2 @ 533 MHZ

As I said previously, looks like it's between the T3 and T4 in terms of processing and graphical power, but with double the OUYA's RAM, so it'll be ahead of the OUYA in performance. So, in theory, between the OUYA and the M.O.J.O, as far as performance goes.

Riot, I don't think OUYA has anything left up their sleeve. And if they do, I'd be more inclined to think it's a derringer that they just use to shoot themselves in the foot (if not the head, but they've been REALLY good at shooting themselves in the foot thus far).

Magnesus
04-02-2014, 08:58 PM
I would expect faster than M.O.J.O, but we will see. There are various versions of Adreno 320 some extremely fast and some information states that it is separate, not part of the SoC - but maybe they made that up for marketing reasons. :)

Athlor
04-02-2014, 09:10 PM
Um, they DO tell you which SOC it uses, right in the Techinical details section. You just have to scroll down to get there. Here, I'll save you some time:

SOC Platform Qualcomm Snapdragon 8064
Processor Qualcomm Krait 300, quad-core to 1.7 Ghz
GPU Qualcomm Adreno 320
Storage 8 GB internal
Memory 2 GB LPDDR2 @ 533 MHZ

As I said previously, looks like it's between the T3 and T4 in terms of processing and graphical power, but with double the OUYA's RAM, so it'll be ahead of the OUYA in performance. So, in theory, between the OUYA and the M.O.J.O, as far as performance goes.

Riot, I don't think OUYA has anything left up their sleeve. And if they do, I'd be more inclined to think it's a derringer that they just use to shoot themselves in the foot (if not the head, but they've been REALLY good at shooting themselves in the foot thus far).

Yeah, marginally quicker than the Ouya. Still not in the league of a Tegra 4. The Snapdragon 600 and 800 are both faster than this Snapdragon 8064. Only the 800 is in Tegra 4 territory with tests going either way.

takedownmak
04-02-2014, 09:25 PM
i got to say im kinda blown away at the games that are comeing to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlVLhqj1weY

FunInfusedGames
04-02-2014, 09:28 PM
From what I can tell from the Google, the SOC in the FireTV is more powerful than the Tegra 3 but less powerful than the Tegra 4. So the FireTV is a little more powerful than the OUYA, but with twice the RAM. Which means it should be able to handle just about anything devs throw at it, since the OUYA's biggest weakness seems to be in its lack of RAM...even with that, it does damn well on a surprising number of "demanding" titles that are simply well optimized.

Thanks, good to know. I did find the Ouya a bit underpowered for my release VolChaos, sounds like the FireTV will do just fine consindering I only needed a little more from it.

I actually don't think this is really a blow to the OUYA. In fact, I don't think it's much of an issue to OUYA. I think OUYA, Inc is their own biggest obstacle/stumbling block.

Yeah, I'd like to see more promotion of OUYA, but it seems like OUYA, Inc doesn't have the ability to produce enough systems to make this a viable option--it does them no good if people want their system but they're not able to make enough to keep up with demand...which ties in nicely with my theory that OUYA is its own biggest obstacle.

That is one way to put it. I'm not sure its just systems they can produce though, I've been less than impressed with many of their business decisions too. I think this is a company that is ran by people that know how to make software and hardware but don't know how to handle the business end of it.

Seems like you'll face similar challenges on the FireTV store as you would on OUYA...sure, there may be a lot more potential customers, but very quickly I think it'll be difficult to make your game stand out to consumers, let alone get them to buy it. But good luck, on whatever app stores you end up on!

The ceiling is just very low right now on Ouya. My two Ouya releases are also on XBLIG and sales there destroyed the sales of the same game on Ouya, not even close. I'll take more competition if I have the possibility of doing well. Ouya needs to be in the hands of more consumers for that to happen and sadly I do think this FireTV is a big blow to it. While Amazon may market this as a media device, I do still think its direct competition to Ouya. The game library is small now so Amazon isn't going to push that end of it, but that won't always be the case. Ouya needs to step up NOW. And I do expect Apple and others will go this route too. The days of being the only microconsole on the block are over.

RiotingSpectre
04-02-2014, 09:31 PM

http://s12.postimg.org/xrrve9qkd/ezgif_save_1.gif

Quite literally my expression when I was watching that video. Never claimed to be a devoted women, but dammit OUYA Incorporate. I just might actually have to get in bed with Amazon from now on.

James Andrew Coote
04-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Hmm, what would your propose OUYA Incorporate to do next? Hire more public relations, get a marketing division, put some super-sneakers on OUYA Everywhere? You're claiming that the Amazon Firetv box is a gaming console while media takes a back seat if not equal priority. While I could agree with the latter, the former however is skeptical at best for the time being. I personally think OUYA Incorporate should get Netflix finally on the console, get the codecs back on XBMC, hire some sort of gaming company to deliver timed exclusive content, improve public relations, get a marketing division, and just go all out if they can.

If the company we're supporting has any cards of their sleeves saved for later then I think they need to be played now. Their poker face is good, but Amazon just played a straight and I think we need to play our flush if we have one.

I'm fairly sure OUYA have been trying to get netflix on the box since day 1. It's netflix that have snubbed OUYA, not vice versa. OUYA just don't have the money to promote the console, and don't seem to be getting any more funding from their investors. I don't think they have any more cards up their sleeves. It's not all grim, as OUYA still have a small, yet loyal fanbase, and the OUYA Everywhere initiative could still bear fruit.

Edit: Also this has got to sting: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/214555/Clint_Hocking_and_Kim_Swift_join_up_with_Amazon_Ga me_Studios.php

Kim Swift is the lady behind Soul Fjord, and joining with Amazon is a bad signal to developers when it comes to looking at OUYA. Basically saying, here is a big developer who was close to OUYA, making an exclusive for the platform, now getting in with this new competitor.

FunInfusedGames
04-02-2014, 09:38 PM
I'm fairly sure OUYA have been trying to get netflix on the box since day 1. It's netflix that have snubbed OUYA, not vice versa. OUYA just don't have the money to promote the console, and don't seem to be getting any more funding from their investors. I don't think they have any more cards up their sleeves. It's not all grim, as OUYA still have a small, yet loyal fanbase, and the OUYA Everywhere initiative could still bear fruit.

Doesn't Ouya have lots of money set aside for the Free the Games promo? Personally if I were them, I'd use that money to pay some studios to either port games or make some Ouya exclusives instead of adding to the money people are making on Kickstarter.

RiotingSpectre
04-02-2014, 09:44 PM

Edit: Also this has got to sting: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/214555/Clint_Hocking_and_Kim_Swift_join_up_with_Amazon_Ga me_Studios.php

Kim Swift is the lady behind Soul Fjord, and joining with Amazon is a bad signal to developers when it comes to looking at OUYA. Basically saying, here is a big developer who was close to OUYA, making an exclusive for the platform, now getting in with this new competitor.

So we're pretty much screwed unless a miracle happens and we're having tons of egg on our faces to boot. Fan-fucking-tastic.

Doesn't Ouya have lots of money set aside for the Free the Games promo? Personally if I were them, I'd use that money to pay some studios to either port games or make some Ouya exclusives instead of adding to the money people are making on Kickstarter.

That would be met with severe amounts of backlash considering that some people have been working to get their games on the Kickstarter campaign since it started. Not only that, but that's only going to go so far with what some studios wanting astronomical amounts of money; warranted or not.

Sluup
04-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Plus, Ouya only had 9 million to start with oppose to amazon's billions, don't know where it went from there but you could imagine.

Killswitch
04-02-2014, 10:00 PM
When OUYA moves to a T4, the ones who are claiming the T3 can't handle their game will have no excuses anymore. T3 can handle most of the games people are saying it can't but they choose not to support the OUYA. There are some that will run like mud but others can be done, look at Meltdown, Stellar Ghosts and others. It can be done if you put the work into it.

Fire looks nice but it's more media than game and mostly a Google box for now. Well Amazon Apps which is basically the same until those other games come out.

Ed Brown
04-02-2014, 10:07 PM
I don't think ouya is going to have any problem with this. just like you can sideload the amazon store on ouya, I am sure we will soon be able to sideload the ouya store on fire tv. all of the new hardware coming out is just gonna be another place for the ouya store to go, which will benefit the hardware maker, the developers, and ouya.

Kaimega
04-02-2014, 10:09 PM
I don't think ouya is going to have any problem with this. just like you can sideload the amazon store on ouya, I am sure we will soon be able to sideload the ouya store on fire tv. all of the new hardware coming out is just gonna be another place for the ouya store to go, which will benefit the hardware maker, the developers, and ouya.

Probably not due to lack of tegra and OUYA is being very selective with their devices...

I feel like we had a conversations like this before.. but with MadCatz, Gamestick, and a slew of other devices. Some of y'all are too quick to jump when someone says "moo" :D

James Andrew Coote
04-02-2014, 10:20 PM
So we're pretty much screwed unless a miracle happens and we're having tons of egg on our faces to boot. Fan-fucking-tastic.

Let's not get too pessimistic. OUYA wasn't really hitting those customers who will now be going out and buying Fire TV sets anyway. The question now is whether OUYA can survive on what it currently has. I think as others have mentioned, there may be more developers willing to make Android console games, and inevitably, some who target Amazon Fire TV will port to OUYA as well (who otherwise wouldn't have) because it basically requires zero extra work.

SlingShot
04-02-2014, 10:48 PM
OUYA side loaded onto firetv sounds pretty awesome actually.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jeffry84
04-02-2014, 10:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlVLhqj1weY

This looks like what I though I would have found on Ouya but sometimes I feel like I have a $99 NES, so this Fire TV could just be the same. Furthermore one could do a similar video with good looking Ouya games so to pass it off more or less as a last-gen console.

Judoka
04-02-2014, 11:11 PM
Optional controller?

Pass.

Unless there's a way to use other bluetooth enabled controllers for it. But in all honesty, I don;t use enough of the services that seem to be aligned with Amazon. Sure I use the site for the odd purchase, but when it comes to their big selling points such as video streaming, music streaming and games, I have plenty of devices that do that already.

RiotingSpectre
04-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Let's not get too pessimistic. OUYA wasn't really hitting those customers who will now be going out and buying Fire TV sets anyway. The question now is whether OUYA can survive on what it currently has. I think as others have mentioned, there may be more developers willing to make Android console games, and inevitably, some who target Amazon Fire TV will port to OUYA as well (who otherwise wouldn't have) because it basically requires zero extra work.

I would agree with you if I didn't have the unnatural ability to be right almost every time I'm pessimistic. We're going to have to see what support comes from those developers in the future because it determines what happens to the OUYA console and its storefront on other platforms. The latter can do without the former, but only once things have aged a little bit with polish. All those games in the two videos takedownmak posted looked incredible and I'd pay for them no doubt. There's more games on there in those two videos that look more fun and look more polished in general than the OUYA's entire library.

It's safe to say that I feel a little embarrassed right now with all the 2D, shitty sprite-work we all on our own console that doesn't do anybody any good because it's ass. Though, even sprite-work can even be good hence Ultionus, but it's very rare. I'm just a little more skeptical about things than I was when the Free-To-Try thing and OUYA Everywhere were known to me.

Victor Coleiro
04-02-2014, 11:20 PM
One of the things that lets down most TV Boxes like the Apple TV, is that the remote doesn't have a keyboard which you need for title searches. It seems incredible that a company could launch a TV Box with a remote devoid of a mini keyboard (on the back) these days, yet here we are with the Amazon TV, and look , no mini keyboard.

I wonder if these people actually do user testing and think about user requirements before designing these things. Because it doesn't seem like it.

The mic in the remote for voice searches is good, don't get me wrong, but a mini keyboard is a must.

RiotingSpectre
04-02-2014, 11:30 PM
One of the things that lets down most TV Boxes like the Apple TV, is that the remote doesn't have a keyboard which you need for title searches. It seems incredible that a company could launch a TV Box with a remote devoid of a mini keyboard (on the back) these days, yet here we are with the Amazon TV, and look , no mini keyboard.

I wonder if these people actually do user testing and think about user requirements before designing these things. Because it doesn't seem like it.

The mic in the remote for voice searches is good, don't get me wrong, but a mini keyboard is a must.

That's kind of a nitpick, isn't it? I agree with you wholeheartedly, but it wouldn't be something that would detract from a purchasing standpoint and instead as convenience one. Unless you're mute it's still practical.

takedownmak
04-02-2014, 11:32 PM
so heres the list of games for the fire tv

Ninja Hero Cats
Save the Puppies
You Don't Know Jack Party
Despicable Me: Minion Rush
The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season
Hungry Shark Evolution
Asphalt 8: Airborne
Deer Hunter 2014
Hill Climb Racing
Minecraft -- Pocket Edition
Riptide GP2
Naught 2
BINGO Blitz
The Game of Life
Reaper
Stickman Downhill -- Motocross
Big Win Slots
Terraria
Into the Dead
PBA Bowling Challenge
BADLAND
Stickman Base Jumper
Grandpa and the Zombies
Dead Trigger 2
Zen Pinball HD
Endless Skater
Ski Safari
NBA 2K14
Sonic CD
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: episode 1
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: episode 2
Polar Bowler 1st Frame
Gravity Guy
Dead on Arrival 2
Buddy & Me
Rabbids Big Bang
Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour
Voodoo Whisperer
Quell
Quell Reflect
Quell Memento
Monsters University
Doom & Destiny
Crazy Taxi
GraveStompers: Kid Zombies Save Eradication!
AirFighters Pro
Rayman Fiesta Run
Pocket Rally
Motorbike
Dead System
Radiant
Quiet, Please!
Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst
Beyond Ynth HD
Fantastic 4 in a Row 2
CLARC
Vacation Vexation
Electronic Super Joy
Grow
Anomaly 2
Striker Soccer Euro 2012 Pro
Fist of Awesome
Atlantis Sky Patrol
Puddle
Micronytes Director's Cut
Bit Brawlers
Sev Zero
Prince of Persia The Shadow and the Flame
Ascent of Kings
Experiment
Recursion
Shadow Fight 2
Haunted Past
Double Dragon Trilogy
Aces of the Luftwaffe
King Oddball
The Cave
Sci-Fighters
Tetris
Canabalt HD
EVAC
No Brakes Valet
Aftermath XHD
Dark Incusion
Wraithborne
Dream Flight
Monster RPG 2
Homeland Strike Force Part One
Kung Fu FIGHT!
Tank Riders 2
Mini Golf Mundo
Alpha Wave
Snailboy -- An Epic Adventure
Hard Lines
Ground Effect Pro XHD
A Ride into the Mountains
Trouserheart
Time Surfer
Mystery Castle HD -- Episode 1
Mystery Castle HD -- Episode 2
Mystery Castle HD -- Episode 3
Mystery Castle HD -- Episode 4
Mystery Castle HD -- Episode 5
Leaue of Evil
Virtua Tennis Challenge
Coaster Crazy Deluxe
Super Daddio 2
Cannon Ballers
Deus Ex: The Fall
Fractal Combat X
Fibbage
Super Mega Worm
Vendetta Online
Quiet Christmas
Concussion Boxing
ARC Squadron: Redux
Truck Monsters
Brick Break Blitz
Farm Invasion USA
Crystal Picnic
Burn Zombie Burn
Gene Effect
Melee Man
Syder Arcade HD
RPG Alphadia Genesis
Freedom Fall
Twin Robots
Grand Truckismo
Range Man
Bomb Squad
Hero of Many

Paul Laimal-Convoy
04-02-2014, 11:33 PM
Although I'm interested in this new device, I hope we can sideload stuff I improve it (custom launchers, play store, etc),

Then, I might bite.

RiotingSpectre
04-02-2014, 11:34 PM
so heres the list of games for the fire tv

Dammit, I want one so bad now.

timmytot666
04-02-2014, 11:38 PM
Most of those I have on my ouya because of Amazon or Humble Bundles lol. No Rochard either? D:

Victor Coleiro
04-02-2014, 11:39 PM
Apple TV and the others dont have a Mic, so its a big issue with them. Trust me , I now first hand with the Apple TV that I own. typing a title in using its remote is about as fun as sticking your hand in a blender. You use the the on screen keyboard to select each letter , one by one using the up,down, left right keys. Putting a mic on the Amazon remote for voice searches is good, and I said that, but its still a far cry from having a keyboard -especially in noisy situations (when your with friends) or when it fails to pickup the correct title from you and you need to then edit it -

I imagine it will let you pair a 3rd party mini keyboard/remote , but it would have been nice to include it standard on the back of its remote.

RiotingSpectre
04-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Apple TV and the others dont have a Mic, so its a big issue with them. Trust me , I now first hand with the Apple TV that I own. typing a title in using its remote is about as fun as sticking your hand in a blender. You use the the on screen keyboard to select each letter , one by one using the up,down, left right keys. Putting a mic on the Amazon remote for voice searches is good, and I said that, but its still a far cry from having a keyboard -especially in noisy situations (when your with friends) or when it fails to pickup the correct title from you and you need to then edit it -

Ah, point taken. Perhaps they'll have a pro version of their launch controller that has a keyboard that slides out like what you see on those bar phones.
http://prepaidmobilephonereviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/ATT-GoPhone-adds-Samsung-Galaxy-Appeal-with-QWERTY-slide-out-keyboard.jpg

timmytot666
04-02-2014, 11:43 PM
I love my slider w/keyboard xD

Nitrogen_Widget
04-02-2014, 11:43 PM
Amazon has a thorough review process which sometimes does weird things but you can always work out any issue with them. They might block low quality games for Fire TV (they don't for Kinde Fire though).
They have excellent developer support. They pay very fast and without problems. They also have leaderboard and achievement system which they hugely promote (by offering incentives to developers who use it).
They also sometimes send developers free devices for participating in some of their programs if they qualify. All in all - I prefer working with them than with Google which has NO support whatsoever and all contact with them results in a response made by a bot.

They use Adreno 320, but it is separate from the CPU (so not a SoC!) which is weird and suggests some overclocking or custom work...
Adreno 320 comes in different versions but Amazon probably used the fastest one (knowing Amazon) which is about 3x faster than Tegra3 (judging by a quick Wikipedia comparison only though, so don't take that for granted). It supports Open GL ES 3.0 but not full OpenGL like Tegra K1.

In worst case scenario it uses the same specs as Kindle Fire HD - which runs my game at 60FPS without problem while OUYA had problems running it at 30FPS (at the same, fullHD resolution). So at least for 2D games it's much better (probably thanks to higher fillrate capabilities).

And never underestimate Amazon - read this if you have doubts about their determination: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-10/jeff-bezos-and-the-age-of-amazon-excerpt-from-the-everything-store-by-brad-stone

And if Amazon did it, expect Apple, Samsung and Google to also do it in the future. So the microconsole with media box thing should bloom. :)

PS. I actually might be wrong, but other test say it might be much more than 3 times faster than Tegra3.

What about App of the day?
Can Amazon spotlight your app & give it away for free and not compensate you for anything?

I've read this a few places while researching android app development.

flamepanther
04-02-2014, 11:44 PM
Boxee Box had a keyboard on the reverse side of the remote. It was pretty badass.

...But also severely buggy, and the developers completely bailed on it. :(

timmytot666
04-02-2014, 11:47 PM
I'm not sure for FireTV but on the Amazon App Store they can indeed offer your app free for a day with no compensation. You apply for it though. http://gigaom.com/2011/08/02/54805-reasons-not-to-be-amazons-free-app-of-the-day/

Nitrogen_Widget
04-02-2014, 11:56 PM
Anyone else wonder if they had "handlers" on the set of the Gary Bucey commercial?

Sort of like when they do with dangerous animals because they can just snap & maul people. :)

arcticdog
04-03-2014, 12:03 AM

The dev docs claim it will work with any blue tooth controller.

This is true. Even if OUYA turns out not to be the winner, they were definitely there first. Will be interesting to see what kind of reception the press gives. Because it is more or less a clone of OUYA in spirit.

Probably an excuse to sell a peripheral, and to keep the cost of the unit down. The "official" game controller for Fire TV isn't packed in either.

What about App of the day?
Can Amazon spotlight your app & give it away for free and not compensate you for anything?

I've read this a few places while researching android app development.
I believe that was a problem at one point. But now developers opt in for it. Developers still don't get paid, but of course, they get featured the day it's free. Though I'm not sure how beneficial that is to the developer as you're hoping you get some sales from people who were too late to get the freebie. I can't imagine that's profitable, but I could be wrong.

Hydrus
04-03-2014, 12:16 AM
This reminds me of the OUYA when it was first announced. Pretty game trailers, pretty pictures and much hype. Such hype. Wow.

RiotingSpectre
04-03-2014, 12:23 AM
This reminds me of the OUYA when it was first announced. Pretty game trailers, pretty pictures and much hype. Such hype. Wow.

You mean when they showed Minecraft, Samurai Vengeance II, and all those other games that we never got?... Who knows if it will happen again. I doubt anybody would flake on Amazon.

Edit: I partially retract what I said above since those were merely demonstrations to show what the OUYA could do and not actually what was coming in the future. Notch had been interested in a Minecraft port for OUYA, but that and the OUYA demonstration we all saw were separate things. My new statement is that what we're seeing in those two videos could be Firetv's demonstration so who knows if the content we're seeing will appear on the console in the end.

arcticdog
04-03-2014, 12:28 AM
You mean when they showed Minecraft, Samurai Vengeance II, and all those other games that we never got?... Who knows if it will happen again. I doubt anybody would flake on Amazon.
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/02/amazon-fire-tv-games-include-minecraft-asphalt-8/

Minecraft looks like it's in for sure.

And Amazon is adamant it's not a game console. :)

Hydrus
04-03-2014, 12:32 AM
Some of them were just for demo show of the UI, but others were actually confirmed coming to the OUYA and backed out. Offensive Combat and Human Element, for example. This happens with big name companies too, like Nintendo, and Nintendo's legendary when it comes to gaming.

RiotingSpectre
04-03-2014, 12:34 AM

Edit: I partially retract what I said above since those were merely demonstrations to show what the OUYA could do and not actually what was coming in the future. Notch had been interested in a Minecraft port for OUYA, but that and the OUYA demonstration we all saw were separate things. My new statement is that what we're seeing in those two videos could be Firetv's demonstration so who knows if the content we're seeing will appear on the console in the end.

Some of them were just for demo show of the UI, but others were actually confirmed coming to the OUYA and backed out. Offensive Combat and Human Element, for example. This happens with big name studios too, like Nintendo. And Nintendo's legendary when it comes to gaming.

Yeah, I corrected myself. Since Minecraft is coming to FireTv then I wonder what other big titles are coming to it. Can anybody think of anything that would appear on FireTv and not OUYA due to the circumstances surrounding each console? All I can think of is some Steam games such as Braid, or something.

Victor Coleiro
04-03-2014, 12:37 AM
^ How about the games developed by Amazons Game Studio they bought - Double Helix. Games like Sev Zero plus over a dozen supposedly in development.
I guess that's a major difference between Amazon and Ouya, they own a decent game studio developing exclusive games for the Fire TV.

mdwright1032
04-03-2014, 12:40 AM
Also like the OUYA there is only one USB port. (I was also surprised when I read about the 8gigs this morning). :concern:

Free amazon cloud storage

fireballs
04-03-2014, 12:43 AM
This is true. Even if OUYA turns out not to be the winner, they were definitely there first. Will be interesting to see what kind of reception the press gives. Because it is more or less a clone of OUYA in spirit.
If you go to the actual Amazon Kindle TV page they have a comparison with Roku, Apple TV and Chromecast but no ouya. This seems way close to an Apple TV or Roku with better gaming. Anyway Roku was out was before OUYA, if this a OUYA clone then that would make OUYA more or less a less successful Roku clone.

While I am kinda disappointed in the specs I might still bite. The fact that I've had my ouya for almost a year and it was being planned 2 years ago and still no Netflix even though Amazon has it day one when its a competitor is really sad and telling. Netflix is available on generic DVD players and they already have an Android app. The fact that there still isn't an official Netflix app for ouya means one of 2 things, either Netflix thinks ouya brings so little to the table that they won't even slightly modify the regular Netflix app or ouya has been to busy with free the games and getting deals with MOJO that they haven't put in any effort to legitimize the Ouya as a viable media center.

BTW the specs for Ouya are equal to a nexus 7 2012 but most people will be running at 2080p instead of the 800p that the Nexus 7 ran at. The KFTV has the exact same specs as the 2013 version except people will be running at 1080p instead of 1200p that the 2013 ran at. When you compare the performance between the two Nexus's the difference between ouya and KFTV should be even bigger and that's not counting the much much better OS programming that Amazon has.

SlingShot
04-03-2014, 12:43 AM
Well.... Mine will be here tomorrow.

RiotingSpectre
04-03-2014, 12:46 AM
Well.... Mine will be here tomorrow.

Mind posting pictures? I'll even cut you a deal. Post some pictures and I'll take your kids via FedEx :)

SlingShot
04-03-2014, 12:47 AM
Mind posting pictures? I'll even cut you a deal. Post some pictures and I'll take your kids via FedEx :)

Sure thing. But no kid stealing!

arcticdog
04-03-2014, 12:55 AM
If you go to the actual Amazon Kindle TV page they have a comparison with Roku, Apple TV and Chromecast but no ouya. This seems way close to an Apple TV or Roku with better gaming. Anyway Roku was out was before OUYA, if this a OUYA clone then that would make OUYA more or less a less successful Roku clone.

While I am kinda disappointed in the specs I might still bite. The fact that I've had my ouya for almost a year and it was being planned 2 years ago and still no Netflix even though Amazon has it day one when its a competitor is really sad and telling. Netflix is available on generic DVD players and they already have an Android app. The fact that there still isn't an official Netflix app for ouya means one of 2 things, either Netflix thinks ouya brings so little to the table that they won't even slightly modify the regular Netflix app or ouya has been to busy with free the games and getting deals with MOJO that they haven't put in any effort to legitimize the Ouya as a viable media center.

BTW the specs for Ouya are equal to a nexus 7 2012 but most people will be running at 2080p instead of the 800p that the Nexus 7 ran at. The KFTV has the exact same specs as the 2013 version except people will be running at 1080p instead of 1200p that the 2013 ran at. When you compare the performance between the two Nexus's the difference between ouya and KFTV should be even bigger and that's not counting the much much better OS programming that Amazon has.

Yeah... I suppose that's a good point. OUYA is a worse media center than Roku. Game development in Roku's environment is also pretty exclusive, which explains the games total it actually has (how many? single digit?). Amazon and OUYA's development in the "open" aspects of game development are very closely aligned. So at least where this idea is concerned, I'd still consider them "first". Roku's really not all that interested in becoming an eco-system and platform as OUYA and Amazon are.

As far as their marketing page is concerned... Amazon's just sort of playing a politically safe game where it comes to the console aspect. "We're not invading this space", yet lining up troops along the border. I think they're deliberately not comparing to OUYA because OUYA isn't big enough. And OUYA is hardly a media darling. "We're better than the thing you all hate, or haven't heard of". At this point, any large company that enters the space even slightly is going to be considered an "OUYA killer" just because they're not OUYA.

So.. it would be mostly pointless to mention OUYA. Who's left over? The big 3? They don't want to compare to Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony because the games are mid-core level with slightly better visuals than OUYA.

Victor Coleiro
04-03-2014, 01:01 AM
Here's an unboxing and hands on, for those into that sort of thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2xLf2qT74U

Warzard
04-03-2014, 01:49 AM
Funny how one of the first things they announced is 1st party games(that by the way, look awesome). Maybe I was right about that being one of the "pillars of success" for a game console company.

You still have some time OUYA. Take this as a gauntlet being dropped. You lucked out when Game Stick and MOJO didn't make a ripple. This could be a title wave! You are still in the conversation or IGN wouldn't have used you to compare to FireTV : http://www.ign.com/wikis/amazon-fire-tv

Sluup
04-03-2014, 01:59 AM
*Looks at my Ouya*
♪ I'm so torn in between the two, cause I really want to be with you ♪

Brown339
04-03-2014, 01:59 AM
Anyone gonna check out Fire TV?

+ Nice specs, reputable company, nice controller, $99 price tag
- Primarily a streaming device, game console is secondary

Kinda fawked up how Amazon managed to pull Minecraft when it has been slated for Ouya since inception... lol. Oh well.

Chickenlump
04-03-2014, 03:23 AM
It's so plain looking.
It's weird, I have no opinion or feelings towards this thing yet.

Hydrus
04-03-2014, 03:32 AM
It definitely looks simplistic. I like how she sighed after she saw the controller. She seems tired, bored or disappointed.

shaminy
04-03-2014, 03:41 AM

Unlike Ouya, Amazon has bought development studios during last few years, lastly they bought Double Helix who made awesome Killer Instinct for Xbox One. Those games shown were all titles under Amazon Games Studios, not a hoax like Ouyas adds were.

Warzard
04-03-2014, 03:46 AM
It's so plain looking.
It's weird, I have no opinion or feelings towards this thing yet.

Yeah, the could have at least had some beveled lines or a cool shape. The Game Stick docking station and Vita TV look way better.

It definitely looks simplistic. I like how she sighed after she saw the controller. She seems tired, bored or disappointed.

Could be worse it could have one of these:
http://www.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/larger.jpg

I think Samsung's controller looks cool:
http://cdn.ndtv.com/tech/images/gadgets/samsung-smartphone-gamepad-controller-635.jpg

Hydrus
04-03-2014, 03:57 AM
Unlike Ouya, Amazon has bought development studios during last few years, lastly they bought Double Helix who made awesome Killer Instinct for Xbox One. Those games shown were all titles under Amazon Games Studios, not a hoax like Ouyas adds were.

It's not about buying studios until you own them all. It's about having exclusives, it gives a reason to buy from a platform. OUYA doesn't need to buy studios to get exclusives. Instead of buying studios, they fund the actual games themselves. Studios cost money. More than the games.

Could be worse it could have one of these

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6877102848/h23EF605C/

Nitrogen_Widget
04-03-2014, 05:01 AM
Funny how one of the first things they announced is 1st party games(that by the way, look awesome). Maybe I was right about that being one of the "pillars of success" for a game console company.

You still have some time OUYA. Take this as a gauntlet being dropped. You lucked out when Game Stick and MOJO didn't make a ripple. This could be a title wave! You are still in the conversation or IGN wouldn't have used you to compare to FireTV : http://www.ign.com/wikis/amazon-fire-tv

Time will tell if people actually buy this just to play those games and not for the media streaming apps.

I just can't see "must have" games on an android console & and people flocking to buy one because of them.
I don't think we have hit that point yet.

wii-u,ps4,xbox1 sure I can see an exclusive game swaying which way they would go.
However, nintendo has a rich legacy of exclusives and they are last place of the big 3.

Me personally, I have an OUYA & a chromecast.
If I buy anything it will be one of the ROKU sticks next.
But that depends if I buy a new TV for my bedroom.

Magnesus
04-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Keep also in mind that there will be others to follow - Asus, Samsung and some day also Google and Apple. Amazon though will definitely have exclusives the others can't have because of that game studios they bought. And knowing Amazon they will update the device each year with greater specs (unless it is not a success).

As for the free app of the day - it is worth it for games that don't sell well since even after the promotion you get much more sales than normally and your other apps get some promotion (if you link to them in the promoted game).

blofse
04-03-2014, 11:27 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/02/bezos_wants_to_set_fire_to_your_living_room_in_set topbox_shakeup/

Will this burn the Ouya? Only time will tell, but if you have Amazon prime and only linux/android devices, this seems to be the only option!

Nooskewl
04-03-2014, 11:43 AM
I've had the devkit for this for a couple months now (if you notice the official games lists anywhere, Nooskewl has a couple games on there.) The controller LOOKS kind of blocky but it is actually really nice, very much like an Xbox 360 pad. All I can say about this though is that I don't have high hopes for it yet, being a Canadian. Amazon is known for $#@!-poor service/implementation (missing features!) in Canada.

blofse
04-03-2014, 12:09 PM
I've had the devkit for this for a couple months now (if you notice the official games lists anywhere, Nooskewl has a couple games on there.) The controller LOOKS kind of blocky but it is actually really nice, very much like an Xbox 360 pad. All I can say about this though is that I don't have high hopes for it yet, being a Canadian. Amazon is known for $#@!-poor service/implementation (missing features!) in Canada.

Same for the UK really - but it would be nice to have this.

I also have a openelec pc running xbmc for everything else except 4oD, which is the only use for this for me :-)
And possibly the games!

Paul Laimal-Convoy
04-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Kinda fawked up how Amazon managed to pull Minecraft when it has been slated for Ouya since inception... lol. Oh well.

Currency doth indeed converse, whereas, stools from bovine males, have a predespondancy to ambulate...

Killswitch
04-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I corrected myself. Since Minecraft is coming to FireTv then I wonder what other big titles are coming to it. Can anybody think of anything that would appear on FireTv and not OUYA due to the circumstances surrounding each console? All I can think of is some Steam games such as Braid, or something.

Walking Dead. Though it's already on Amazon anyway.

fireballs
04-03-2014, 03:16 PM
We all knew this day would come, a big company coming to ouyas market. Ouya had a huge head start and did nothing with it. Think about it, no netflix on a box for your tv wtf? You can sideload it but only Android 4.3 or higher can display netflix at 1080p. This should have been basic stuff.

Nitrogen_Widget
04-03-2014, 03:49 PM
We all knew this day would come, a big company coming to ouyas market. Ouya had a huge head start and did nothing with it. Think about it, no netflix on a box for your tv wtf? You can sideload it but only Android 4.3 or higher can display netflix at 1080p. This should have been basic stuff.

I am thinking about it.
I'm thinking why do I need OUYA for netflix when I already own 4 other devices that can put netflix on my TV?

FunInfusedGames
04-03-2014, 04:23 PM
I am thinking about it.
I'm thinking why do I need OUYA for netflix when I already own 4 other devices that can put netflix on my TV?

Because that'd sell Ouya systems to people that want NetFlix on their TVs and don't have a way. It's all about making the platform attractive to consumers so more of them buy the system. More system sales = more profits for devs on games = more devs making games.

I have released games on XBox 360, Windows Phone 7, iPhone, and Ouya. The download numbers on Ouya in comparison to other platforms are BAD. I'm far from the only developer that has either seen or assumes this. If you want to continue seeing lots of new games and new developers on the platform, that has to improve. Media stuff like Netflix would drive consumer sales and spill over into more game downloads and purchases. Most developers are only going to release games on platforms where they can make money and sadly Ouya does not look good in that respect. Most disappointing of all, I have seen almost nothing in the past 6 months to improve Ouya's standing with consumers.

Pat1986
04-03-2014, 04:55 PM
true. they really had a big chance in the beginning.

Kaimega
04-03-2014, 05:12 PM
true. they really had a big chance in the beginning.

Lets not forget, OUYA inc is a small company compared to the others. A Small company with a small amount of money. 8.5 million plus the money received by NVIDIA is not much. Certainly not much to buy other studios, etc. They are also an unknown company compared to the likes of Amazon and Google and such, and thus makes trusting and making exclusives a huge risk to take. This is why they did timed exclusivity for the games they did like Clark and Towerfall. They were exclusive at one point, but even OUYA inc understood an indefinite exclusivity period would make the developers crumble more than anything else, because they are a new player.

Now With Netflix and Hulu. Hulu has stated before they will not be an app alongside something like XBMC. I believe they specifically said XBMC as well. Netflix OUYA has been trying to work with multiple times, and yet it is the other party that seems to drop the ball (Netflix) maybe due to not caring or otherwise. OUYA can do so much until bridges get burned and relations cease.

Pat1986
04-03-2014, 05:16 PM
sure, but time has passed and nothing really worth mentioning happend.

timmytot666
04-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Hulus aid they don't wanna be alongside XBMC? But XBMC is in the google play store? Its also available for AppleTV? I don't get it.

knave
04-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Free amazon cloud storage

"for amazon content", I take this to mean you can't put your own stuff in there...and what about apps...redownload each time...? It should have more storage...period.

...but don't take my few criticisms the wrong way. I like the Fire TV...I am not going to get one today, but perhaps some day...Lets see if you can side-load XBMC and HBOgo first.

Kaimega
04-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Hulus aid they don't wanna be alongside XBMC? But XBMC is in the google play store? Its also available for AppleTV? I don't get it.

They wanted some exclusivity deal if I remember right. Google play store is a wider store so I don't think that count too much.. :P Maybe I am mixing XBMC up with another media app..pretty sure it was this one.. but whichever it was , it is the reason Hulu isn't here.

sure, but time has passed and nothing really worth mentioning happend.

Plenty of things worth mentioning happened. We received timed exclusives such as Clarc and Towerfall, 6 (10?) new games are coming out, exclusive to OUYA as well. OUYA also released XBMC, external storage and other things. OUYA Everywhere is becoming a thing, OUYA 2 is claimed to be in the works, and Free to try is optional to bring in more developers. They put out a TV commercial (before anyone says it, look back at the "money" thing I mentioned)

However, if you mean something that would catch the more public eye, that won't happen because that isn't what these tech journalists are looking for. Tech Journalists are looking to trash the OUYA and will do anything in their power to do so. People like the Verge will up-hype anything that is related to 'killing' the OUYA. So we will probably never hear anything ground breaking from mass tech people, but don't discount what things worth mentioning actually happened :)

fireballs
04-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Lets not forget, OUYA inc is a small company compared to the others. A Small company with a small amount of money. 8.5 million plus the money received by NVIDIA is not much. Certainly not much to buy other studios, etc. They are also an unknown company compared to the likes of Amazon and Google and such, and thus makes trusting and making exclusives a huge risk to take. This is why they did timed exclusivity for the games they did like Clark and Towerfall. They were exclusive at one point, but even OUYA inc understood an indefinite exclusivity period would make the developers crumble more than anything else, because they are a new player.

Now With Netflix and Hulu. Hulu has stated before they will not be an app alongside something like XBMC. I believe they specifically said XBMC as well. Netflix OUYA has been trying to work with multiple times, and yet it is the other party that seems to drop the ball (Netflix) maybe due to not caring or otherwise. OUYA can do so much until bridges get burned and relations cease.

You're correct, they are a small company without a huge bank roll like Amazon. This isn't new though, if they truly thought ouya was a great idea then they had to expect competition at some point.

With that in mind you have to think do we want to compete?

If you're a small company and want to compete on a big scale against bigger companies all your decisions are that more important, you can't afford mistakes. You have to have a strong foundation, have key people in key positions and cater to your fanbase so that they are happy and spread your brand through word of mouth.

Ouya did non of that. Constant bad decisions. Don't have key people in key places, Julie is pretty bad as the voice of the company and why would you have one of your software engineers come into our forum and talk down to our members? There foundation sucks and that don't cater to their fan base. Customer service wins or loses customers and ouyas is terrible. Waiting a month or two to get your controllers fixed.

Ouya was able to screw up and not go out of business because there was no really competition. Now its sink or swim so we will see. In 1 year we will either see a much better OUYA inc or we will see no ouya inc.

Also the reason I think things like Netflix are important is why would I want my customer to stop using my device and use a different device for something that my device could easily handle? Plus people like all in ones.

knave
04-03-2014, 07:07 PM
Also the reason I think things like Netflix are important is why would I want my customer to stop using my device and use a different device for something that my device could easily handle? Plus people like all in ones.
I couldn't agree more. When I'm using the OUYA, I don't want to "have" to swich to one of the other devices, Roku, Wii, PS3, XB360...just to see a list of more content. I want to go from App to App looking for what I feel like and then do/watch that thing. Perhaps it's spoiled logic...but I've been looking for a long time. :)

Nitrogen_Widget
04-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Because that'd sell Ouya systems to people that want NetFlix on their TVs and don't have a way. It's all about making the platform attractive to consumers so more of them buy the system. More system sales = more profits for devs on games = more devs making games.

I have released games on XBox 360, Windows Phone 7, iPhone, and Ouya. The download numbers on Ouya in comparison to other platforms are BAD. I'm far from the only developer that has either seen or assumes this. If you want to continue seeing lots of new games and new developers on the platform, that has to improve. Media stuff like Netflix would drive consumer sales and spill over into more game downloads and purchases. Most developers are only going to release games on platforms where they can make money and sadly Ouya does not look good in that respect. Most disappointing of all, I have seen almost nothing in the past 6 months to improve Ouya's standing with consumers.

And you are blaming the lack of netflix for this?

They wanted some exclusivity deal if I remember right. Google play store is a wider store so I don't think that count too much.. :P Maybe I am mixing XBMC up with another media app..pretty sure it was this one.. but whichever it was , it is the reason Hulu isn't here.

Plenty of things worth mentioning happened. We received timed exclusives such as Clarc and Towerfall, 6 (10?) new games are coming out, exclusive to OUYA as well. OUYA also released XBMC, external storage and other things. OUYA Everywhere is becoming a thing, OUYA 2 is claimed to be in the works, and Free to try is optional to bring in more developers. They put out a TV commercial (before anyone says it, look back at the "money" thing I mentioned)

However, if you mean something that would catch the more public eye, that won't happen because that isn't what these tech journalists are looking for. Tech Journalists are looking to trash the OUYA and will do anything in their power to do so. People like the Verge will up-hype anything that is related to 'killing' the OUYA. So we will probably never hear anything ground breaking from mass tech people, but don't discount what things worth mentioning actually happened :)

dude, no matter what people will find a way to bash ouya it seems.
even when it comes to things that wern't even supposed to be.

I bought ouya to play games.
I have 4 other devices in the house to get netflix to my TV.
3 of them i owned well before OUYA came to market.

the 4th was chromecast & my favorite.
navigating a media app with my gamepad vs a dedicated remote control is not enjoyable for me.
I honestly can't be f'd to remember which button does which when it comes to controlling playback.
I don't want to waste my time futzing with getting a remote to work.

I'd prefer ouya concentrate on gaming since they are a gaming device.

I couldn't agree more. When I'm using the OUYA, I don't want to "have" to swich to one of the other devices, Roku, Wii, PS3, XB360...just to see a list of more content. I want to go from App to App looking for what I feel like and then do/watch that thing. Perhaps it's spoiled logic...but I've been looking for a long time. :)

No one device will do everything you want.

FunInfusedGames
04-03-2014, 07:57 PM
And you are blaming the lack of netflix for this?

Not totally, but I think having Netflix would have helped. Anything to make the device more attractive to consumers would help.

I think advertising it is still the biggest problem though. Your average consumer doesn't know what an Ouya is or why they would want one.

mdwright1032
04-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Fire tv #1 on amazons best sellers list

timmytot666
04-03-2014, 08:27 PM
I watch Netflix on my Ouya. Totes worth it.

mdwright1032
04-03-2014, 08:31 PM
It is launching with 96 games and it's an impressive list. Listen to video around 2:15 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdHctcNQBzE

Nitrogen_Widget
04-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Not totally, but I think having Netflix would have helped. Anything to make the device more attractive to consumers would help.

I think advertising it is still the biggest problem though. Your average consumer doesn't know what an Ouya is or why they would want one.

yes & no.
I'm really considering ouya 1 to be a beta & advertising to get more out there with all the reported early problems would of done more harm than good for the company.
I wish I could say they are doing well just by word of mouth but they are keeping that info to themselves so nobody knows.

Ouya 2 should be a polished product & I'm guessing with the "free to try" dropped they are planning some decent games at launch time along with real advertising.

Pure speculation on my part but why take the path they have if they aren't building up to something?
why eliminate free to try, roll out OUYA everywhere & not advertise?

doesn't make sense.

They are either going explode on the scene with an ouya 2 or leave a smoking crater where their offices are.

FunInfusedGames
04-03-2014, 09:12 PM
They are either going explode on the scene with an ouya 2 or leave a smoking crater where their offices are.

Problem is by the time Ouya 2 is ever out, the Ouya name might be sunk. FireTV will be more entrenched, Apple and Samsung might have their versions, etc. I think they need to make a bigtime play NOW not later or they will be sunk.

Nitrogen_Widget
04-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Problem is by the time Ouya 2 is ever out, the Ouya name might be sunk. FireTV will be more entrenched, Apple and Samsung might have their versions, etc. I think they need to make a bigtime play NOW not later or they will be sunk.

How can the name be sunk when you just claimed people don't know about it from lack of advertising?

FunInfusedGames
04-03-2014, 09:22 PM
How can the name be sunk when you just claimed people don't know about it from lack of advertising?

Ha ha, fair enough. Devs know the name, consumers by and large don't. Given other options devs aren't likely to stick with Ouya unless the situation improves.

Consumers won't likely know still it seems unless they change something. Ouya was the first and they're missing a golden opportunity to capitalize. I fear if they wait for Ouya 2, they won't have any opportunity. The time to fix this is now.

knave
04-03-2014, 09:56 PM
No one device will do everything you want.

What bugs me is that the OUYA Could do everything if the apps were available and tuned to its hardware. Games, Netflix, XBMC, Youtube, HBOgo, Amazon, Pandora and light web browsing...It already works but not everything works well. If OUYA fixed those issues...it would be a hit!
:positive:

timmytot666
04-03-2014, 09:58 PM
I am using all of those fantastically besides HBOgo (don't have a subscription) and Netflix(only displays in 480p max)

Victor Coleiro
04-03-2014, 10:52 PM
To be honest, I'm not really impressed with the Amazon Fire TV for gaming. The specs are not great, SOC wise its on par with the Ouya which is already long in the tooth.

Second, Amazon's focus for it is as a TV box not gaming. If you watch Amazon's official 4 minute video for it on the Amazon sales page for it. They plug it as a TV Box, then later on in the vid for 20 seconds, they mention you can also play games on it using Drum Roll -> The remote. Only as an add on comment do they mention that you can also play games using an optional controller.

Needing a seperately purchased controller has been picked up by others and is one of those things generally discussed before. When an add on / buy seperately peripheral (controller) is needed, will devs develop for it. Frankly its an issue. Then you have what do the devs develop for , the remote it comes with that every Fire TV owner has?. Or an add on controller , if so, how many Fire TV owners have a controller? . Which one may they have?, one with dual triggers each side or just one?. One with media buttons as per Amazons controller or without?. As a dev , you may as well develop for the general Android market and not lock yourself into Amazon's smaller market that has as much chance of someone having a controller as the general Android market anyway.

I'm going to hold out and see what Ouya, Google, Asus, Apple and ten thousand Chinese manufacturers come out with all this year.

Warzard
04-03-2014, 11:06 PM
Just saw a story on local news on Fire TV, they talked about its competition. Guess who wasn't mentioned. And that's the point. No ad push=No coverage.

fireballs
04-04-2014, 01:20 AM
To be honest, I'm not really impressed with the Amazon Fire TV for gaming. The specs are not great, SOC wise its on par with the Ouya which is already long in the tooth.

Second, Amazon's focus for it is as a TV box not gaming. If you watch Amazon's official 4 minute video for it on the Amazon sales page for it. They plug it as a TV Box, then later on in the vid for 20 seconds, they mention you can also play games on it using Drum Roll -> The remote. Only as an add on comment do they mention that you can also play games using an optional controller.

Needing a seperately purchased controller has been picked up by others and is one of those things generally discussed before. When an add on / buy seperately peripheral (controller) is needed, will devs develop for it. Frankly its an issue. Then you have what do the devs develop for , the remote it comes with that every Fire TV owner has?. Or an add on controller , if so, how many Fire TV owners have a controller? . Which one may they have?, one with dual triggers each side or just one?. One with media buttons as per Amazons controller or without?. As a dev , you may as well develop for the general Android market and not lock yourself into Amazon's smaller market that has as much chance of someone having a controller as the general Android market anyway.

I'm going to hold out and see what Ouya, Google, Asus, Apple and ten thousand Chinese manufacturers come out with all this year.
You must of missed my earlier post. The ouya is a Nexus 7 2012 but running at 1080p which is a higher pixel count than the 2012. KFTV is basically a 2013 Nexus 7 running at 1080p which is a lower pixel count.

Now I owned a 2012 and a 2013 Nexus and the 2013 was clearly stronger and smoother during games or apps. Now when you compare the Ouya and the KFTV the gap will be bigger because of the common 1080p instead off 800p or 1200p.

Just because gaming isn't its number one focus doesn't mean its gaming focus still isn't greater than ouyas. I mean they already have their own studio, exclusives and games promised to the ouya almost 2 years ago but since abandoned.

KFTV might only be 25% focused on gaming but that 25% is equal to about 500% compared to ouya.

mdwright1032
04-04-2014, 01:48 AM

You are misinformed. It's much more powerful than ouya
It's gpu vs tegra 3 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/snapdragon-s4-pro-apq8064-msm8960t,3291-5.html

It also is packed with a seperate 1.7ghz quad core cpu

Just saw a story on local news on Fire TV, they talked about its competition. Guess who wasn't mentioned. And that's the point. No ad push=No coverage.

Ouya is a very niche market. I have alot of gamer friends and have yet to know one who even knows what an ouya is.

There are things about the firetv I don't like (should get mine tomorrow)

1. I do not like how they did not offer a bundle. Say the controller and box for $129

2. I do not like the small memory. I read about 5.5gb free for the user. I am hoping amazon puts that usb port to use for expanded memory

Posts Merged. Use the edit button next time!

Victor Coleiro
04-04-2014, 03:21 AM
^ The S4 Pro is about 18% faster overall than a Tegra 3 T33 , don't forget there are 3 different flavours of the Tegra 3 ranging from the slowest - the T30 used in the 2012 Nexus 7, right up the T33 (fastest) used in the Ouya.
See here for a better comparison : http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Qualcomm-Snapdragon-S4-Pro-(APQ8064)-vs-Nvidia-Tegra-3-(T33)
OF course the Ouya's T33 is supposedly tweeked again because of the no need for battery. But my point wasn't a comparison of the two at all.

The point I was trying to make is that both the S4 Pro and T33 are old (circa 2011/12) and comparitively slow compared to current SOCs. The TV boxes and Gaming consoles coming out this year like from Google, Apple, Asus , Ouya, the chinese, etc are rumoured to be T4 , RK3288 plus likely T5 by the end of the year from some. Neither the S4 Pro or T3 can hold a candle to the T4 or RK3288 (let alone any T5 consoles/TV boxes that may come out later in the year) . I don't want a console/TV box with an old outdated 2012 SOC, better is coming soon. Even the next Apple TV which is rumoured to have gaming and apps added to it is supposedly going to have a 64bit A7 in it, at least thats the rumour. Then there's all the Chinese consoles coming out like the $112 Tegra 4 Funbox coming out next week ($84 without a controller).
Also, I would like something that can do 4K playback which the Tegra 4 etc can do, the S4 Pro cannot. Plus there were the other points I made. But I agree on the game studio they own being a plus, I've said that earlier myself.

But each to their own, others requirements might match up more with the Fire TV and the services set it offers. I'm just waiting a bit more on what the others bring out.

Schizophretard
04-04-2014, 03:33 AM
KFTV might only be 25% focused on gaming but that 25% is equal to about 500% compared to ouya.

A similar statement could be made with my ROKU box but since they are different enough I didn't think of my ROKU as a threat to my OUYA when I discovered the OUYA. And even though I see some overlap and competition it doesn't seem like the kind of fierce competition that exists between the XBOX ONE and PS4. It is more like the variety of set top boxes, variety of DVD players, variety of TVs, variety of stereos, variety of phones, variety of computers, etc. All these claimed OUYA killers seem to be in categories where many devices can exist instead of a few dominating to the point of killing all the others like how it is with the Big 3. The only thing that seems different to me is that big companies like Amazon, Google, Apple, or whoever can get their devices successful first but I don't necessarily think that automatically means that other devices can't be successful later. It seems more like most of the fierce competition is between other small companies trying to get up there instead of the ones that already are.

Warzard
04-04-2014, 03:38 AM
Sometimes graphics capabilities don't matter when you have clout/dollars to influence games to come your way. You'd be surprised how optimized code can get with a few extra grand in your back pocket.

SlingShot
04-04-2014, 04:25 AM
I got mine today and after playing with it.... I am pretty impressed. Easily was worth my $100. The gaming works pretty damn well. I think time will tell where this trend goes.

mdwright1032
04-04-2014, 06:19 AM
I got mine today and after playing with it.... I am pretty impressed. Easily was worth my $100. The gaming works pretty damn well. I think time will tell where this trend goes.

I hope to get mine today. Any lag on the games?

SlingShot
04-04-2014, 06:22 AM
I hope to get mine today. Any lag on the games?

I haven't gotten the controller yet. But there are games you can play with the standard remote. All played very smoothly.

jlenoconel
04-04-2014, 06:24 AM
The OUYA has missed the mark as far as being a competitive console in today's market, where as the Fire TV will probably sell relatively well. The one thing the OUYA has going for it is its open, but in some ways, this is pointless if half of the sideloaded apps crash on the console. Another problem the OUYA has is shovelware being put on the console, whilst lacking games like Minecraft and other big franchises. I think that's a problem personally.

Hugo
04-04-2014, 07:54 AM
The OUYA has missed the mark as far as being a competitive console in today's market, where as the Fire TV will probably sell relatively well. The one thing the OUYA has going for it is its open, but in some ways, this is pointless if half of the sideloaded apps crash on the console. Another problem the OUYA has is shovelware being put on the console, whilst lacking games like Minecraft and other big franchises. I think that's a problem personally.

To tackle your first point, the OUYA was never intended to be a competitive console, as has been stated since the kickstarter. Realistically, it was only meant to compete with other microconsoles, which up until this point is a market that it is currently dominating.

Next, I think that saying that half of the sideloaded apps crash on the console is a bit of an exaggeration. A majority of the sideloaded apps that do crash are due to a lack of compatibility based on the console not having any way to detect an accelerometer, and quite a few games have at least some basis in motion control. Also, there are many workarounds available to change the default launcher to allow those games to initialize properly. Some work has to be done, but I would say that a majority of sideloaded apps work well.

Where shovelware is concerned, the Wii is widely-renowned as having the most shovelware of any console since the inception of console gaming. Also, as of the end of last year, the Wii had sold over 100 million consoles worldwide. The OUYA lacks those titles AAA because it was never meant to have them. It was always intended to be an indie console, and any major developer that ports a game over should be viewed as icing on the cake.

Besides all of that, isn't comparing the FireTV to the OUYA kind of a moot point considering that the OUYA is primarily designed to be a gaming console (that has some other media functionality) and the FireTV is meant to be a media box (that has some other gaming functionality?)

jlenoconel
04-04-2014, 08:25 AM
But OUYA did try to market their console as competing against the PS3/360 at times. Everyone has seen the commercials dude.

And with the Wii thing, its a case of being fooled once into buying a mediocre system, but as most people have probably realized by now, the Wii's successor isn't doing too well. I love Nintendo too but can still say that. because for every good game there is for the system, there are ten terrible games. On top of that, the OUYA's games are even worse than what you had on the Wii, by quite a margin actually. The thing I will give the OUYA over the Wii is being able to watch more video sites and such like Dailymotion etc, which is something the original Wii obviously couldn't do.

I like my OUYA, but can't say I'm not disappointed in it. No real attempts have been made to get great games on the system. Would have been nice to have seen the entire Final Fantasy series released on this thing, but its obviously not happened has it.

Nitrogen_Widget
04-04-2014, 05:17 PM
err no.

I saw one commercial that showed someone puking over the high cost of the other consoles & their games and how the OUYA was a cheap alternative.

If you honestly believe OUYA is in direct competition with xbox & PS because of that commercial and apply the same logic to other things (disregard common sense altogether) then I'm sorry, you are in for a rough life.

knave
04-04-2014, 06:02 PM
From the consumer standpoint the Kindle fire TV is a great choice if you are in the market for a set-top media device and are at all interested in games.

...but, if you already have a Roku or PS3, or Xbox360, or pretty much anything that plays your media...and most likely you do. Then its not as much of a benefit.

Why Buy it (other than for cool factor) when you have perfectly good and functioning media options hooked to your tv right now.

I wasn't sure I wanted to pick up a Cromecast...(but couldn't resist ~$20 on sale) I use it only for HBOgo on a 2nd TV...And now I could use my PS3.

My point is that none of these devices are going to really impact the OUYA ecosystem in the near future.

:smug:

Kaimega
04-04-2014, 06:16 PM
But OUYA did try to market their console as competing against the PS3/360 at times. Everyone has seen the commercials dude.

And with the Wii thing, its a case of being fooled once into buying a mediocre system, but as most people have probably realized by now, the Wii's successor isn't doing too well. I love Nintendo too but can still say that. because for every good game there is for the system, there are ten terrible games. On top of that, the OUYA's games are even worse than what you had on the Wii, by quite a margin actually. The thing I will give the OUYA over the Wii is being able to watch more video sites and such like Dailymotion etc, which is something the original Wii obviously couldn't do.

I like my OUYA, but can't say I'm not disappointed in it. No real attempts have been made to get great games on the system. Would have been nice to have seen the entire Final Fantasy series released on this thing, but its obviously not happened has it.

They have been trying to get great games for the system. But not AAA games from AAA developers which is what appears you are looking for. They have 6 (10?) exclusives coming to OUYA they posted about on the GDC thing.

Tricksterwolf
04-04-2014, 06:27 PM
i just wonder, if Minecraft is already ported with controller compatibility, wouldn't it be just a matter of plis plis dolan plis to bring it to the Ouya? (I know it has been made before but I wonder if we have more chance now that's finally done... i'd love to play hunger games at nite just before going to bed ): and i hate doing it on my note 10.1 even if it's too big. touch layout is lame.

Steven7
04-04-2014, 06:34 PM
wow this thread really blew up, im happy with my kernal OUYA and linux streaming box nuff said lol

Sent from my OUYA Console

Nitrogen_Widget
04-04-2014, 07:39 PM
From the consumer standpoint the Kindle fire TV is a great choice if you are in the market for a set-top media device and are at all interested in games.

...but, if you already have a Roku or PS3, or Xbox360, or pretty much anything that plays your media...and most likely you do. Then its not as much of a benefit.

Why Buy it (other than for cool factor) when you have perfectly good and functioning media options hooked to your tv right now.

I wasn't sure I wanted to pick up a Cromecast...(but couldn't resist ~$20 on sale) I use it only for HBOgo on a 2nd TV...And now I could use my PS3.

My point is that none of these devices are going to really impact the OUYA ecosystem in the near future.

:smug:

Chromecast has a ton of potential.
They only recently opened up the dev kit & it appears to be fairly easy to integrate it.
Using yaste and connecting to my mediaserver with xbmc installed I can stream anything that is compatible with chromcast.
so that means weird formats won't work so it isn't perfect.

timmytot666
04-04-2014, 08:30 PM
http://readwrite.com/2014/04/04/amazon-fire-tv-review-hands-on-impressions#awesm=~oAuFjDB4ZW9vId

Here is an Amazon FireTV review. Says voice search doesn't work for anything but Amazon search and Amazon prime xD

SlingShot
04-04-2014, 08:34 PM
http://readwrite.com/2014/04/04/amazon-fire-tv-review-hands-on-impressions#awesm=~oAuFjDB4ZW9vId

Here is an Amazon FireTV review. Says voice search doesn't work for anything but Amazon search and Amazon prime xD

I have used the voice search, which works very well, and granted I haven't tested this heavily ... I did search for "The hunger games" and the result brought up the hunger games and the shown one to play was via amazon. But if you choose "other ways to watch" it listed netflix etc.

Now what I didnt check is what would happen if I searched for something that ONLY exists in netflix. Like house of cards. I will need to try that.

timmytot666
04-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Ahh; he said he went to "other ways to watch" and it just showed the same results. It Could have been something that wasn't on netflix or hulu or hbogo. But I doubt it xD Just going by what he says. Good to know it works that way. He said it closes out of apps when you hit voice search. That defeats the purpose for me if I am in netflix I want it to search there for me xD

mdwright1032
04-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Will post a video shortly about it's gameplay.

Skip the amazon controller and pick up a moga pro instead

Pat1986
04-04-2014, 11:13 PM
first videos showing real gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP8KlFNZzAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewuqCehRpdI

timmytot666
04-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Said unsupported video format

Sent from my C64 in the 1980s

iprice
04-04-2014, 11:49 PM
^^ Showing here.

mdwright1032
04-04-2014, 11:59 PM
For people who plan on purchasing this the moga pro is a cheaper and better option. The amazon gamepad has problems

SlingShot
04-05-2014, 01:12 AM
For people who plan on purchasing this the moga pro is a cheaper and better option. The amazon gamepad has problems

What problems? I already have a moga. But was thinking of getting the amazon one anyway.

mdwright1032
04-05-2014, 02:43 AM
What problems? I already have a moga. But was thinking of getting the amazon one anyway.

It feels blocky in my hands, triggers feel to tight and don't like how my hands have to stretch to reach the rb and lb buttons. The dpad also is hard to press and depressed into the controller.

The moga pro feels great just like a 360 controller

SlingShot
04-05-2014, 03:13 AM
Well the moga works great. Even better than when connected to my tegra 4 tablet. I am having fun with this. Kids are making fun of me trying to learn Minecraft.

Greaves
04-05-2014, 03:51 AM

Where is the moga pro offered for under $40?

mdwright1032
04-05-2014, 04:21 AM
Where is the moga pro offered for under $40?

I got mine off ebay for $21. You got to shop around. I stand corrected the prices have really shot up.

I purchased mine novemeber of last year and you could find them for $20-$30 a pop. I dunno why but the prices have skyrocketed. Higher demand maybe

The nyko game controller is also supported but I dunno how that controller is. As long as your bluetooth controller supports HID you should be good

flamepanther
04-05-2014, 04:52 AM
Amazon's investors aren't predicting a bright future for this endeavor. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/charleyblaine/2014/04/04/what-investors-are-saying-about-amazons-fire-tv-and-amazon/)

fireballs
04-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Amazon's investors aren't predicting a bright future for this endeavor. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/charleyblaine/2014/04/04/what-investors-are-saying-about-amazons-fire-tv-and-amazon/)

llllllllooooooollllllll

You know we allowed to come up with our own opinion and don't have to believe headlines right?

If you read the whole article it says that tech stocks have took a hit in general this week. So the down market for tech stocks this week are all from the kftv? Or tech stocks did bad and Amazon Has a lot invested in tech but its only the kftv that caused the dip?

Article also says amazon stock is down 21% on the year. So have they been dipping all year because of kftv? If they have been sliding all year but this is from just the kftv are we saying that if it wasn't for kftv this was the week Amazon was going to turn it around?

Just don't understand after reading the second half of the article that the first half is news beyond trying to get readers.

flamepanther
04-05-2014, 05:07 PM
The whole point the article makes is that Amazon stock took an additional dip within its existing slump and the general tech slump, and that it coincided with the Fire TV announcement. It would be reasonable to suggest that the article is making a bigger deal out of it than it is, or that the shareholders are simply wrong. But plugging your ears and pretending it has nothing at all to do with the announcement is rather silly. It's not uncommon to see big tech firms take a hit to their stock when they unveil a new device in an untried market. This is absolutely related.

mdwright1032
04-06-2014, 04:03 AM
It's a best seller on amazon.com. Its stocks are going to rise

The controller is out of stock: http://www.androidcentral.com/amazon-fire-tv-game-controller-backorder-now-expected-ship-late-april

Victor Coleiro
10-17-2014, 10:10 AM
Amazon finally launched a Fire TV Gamers bundle which includes the controller for $124 with free US shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Gamers-Bundle-Controller-cable/dp/B00M9VWFOM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1413536264&sr=8-4&keywords=fire+tv

Just a note that Anmazon are currently selling the Fire TV (don't know for how long) cheaply

Fire TV for $69.99 with free shipping -> http://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-streaming-media-player/dp/B00CX5P8FC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417480366&sr=8-2&keywords=fire+tv

Nyko Controller which is compatible with the Fire TV for $16.99 with free delivery, combine this with the Fire TV for a $87 Gamer bundle -> http://www.amazon.com/Playpad-Android-Bluetooth-PC-Mac-Linux/dp/B0092ZEINO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1417480535&sr=8-4&keywords=nyko

Please do not double post. Use the edit button next time --mmartino

Victor Coleiro
06-05-2015, 11:41 PM
Seems like there is a reason games sell better on the Fire TV , its selling great guns apparently - http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/05/amazon-fire-tv-shipments/

Killswitch
06-05-2015, 11:58 PM
Just like OUYA, a great number are just media boxes though out of 3.5M you're bound to hit something. Not many of the devs here have reported better numbers but that goes back to marketing, promotion and all that.

Victor Coleiro
06-06-2015, 12:02 AM
Every time I've seen a dev here report on Fire TV, its been a strongly hinted (due to NDA from memory), yeah its doing a lot better there.

Killswitch
06-06-2015, 12:09 AM
Well not referring to the Bombsquads and obvious ones. It's kind of lopsided...