PDA

View Full Version : Ya know what would be cool?

mungrin
03-24-2014, 07:15 PM
If I could filter through the highest rated games in the Discover store in order that way I could find the best games to buy. Sometimes I don't feel like sifting through all the crap games and flappy clones. I feel that a new owner should be able to turn the system on and immediately see the best games available. Just my opinion of course and I don't mind finding that diamond in the rough sometimes but not always. For example I found The Cave by accident and I love it and I feel that these highly rated games should be easier to find .

Killswitch
03-24-2014, 07:17 PM
High rated isn't always the best.

mmartino
03-24-2014, 07:20 PM
If I could filter through the highest rated games in the Discover store in order that way I could find the best games to buy. Sometimes I don't feel like sifting through all the crap games and flappy clones. I feel that a new owner should be able to turn the system on and immediately see the best games available. Just my opinion of course and I don't mind finding that diamond in the rough sometimes but not always. For example I found The Cave by accident and I love it and I feel that should be an easy to find game.

Additional filters would be nice but I am not sure it would ever be possible to have it show the best games on the system. Mainly because your best and my best are not the same. If they were, we would not need the filters lol

Jeffry84
03-24-2014, 07:57 PM
Some query system wouldn't harm at all. The number of games and apps is only going to grow and eventually Discover will be a huge mess. Sort by rating, age, size, alphabetical order, and tags like author or genre could definitely help.

Schizophretard
03-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Additional filters would be nice but I am not sure it would ever be possible to have it show the best games on the system. Mainly because your best and my best are not the same. If they were, we would not need the filters lol

There is some overlap though but I think it would be more of the O-Rank instead of the star ratings that would determine it. Especially since the star ratings(I think) are part of the engagement metrics. The genres are O-Ranked. It is hard to see the overlap now but someday when there are many more games it would be easier to see. By then there could be a lot of overlap and when you would go into a genre there would be a good chance that without scrolling that many of the games you would first see would be games that you would enjoy. People have different tastes but there are some tastes that people share.

The ratings could be useful for finding hidden gems but when you find them you are contributing to the O-Rank and bringing them higher up. So, not just many more games would make it easier to see the overlap but many more gamers. If there were many more OUYA owners then there would be a lot more people trying games based on the O-Rank or digging deeper to find the hidden gems based on the star ratings or just because they think a game looks interesting. When they do so they would be bringing games higher up.

So, more games and more users would turn everyone's combined behavior into a way to sort the games and bring the games where our tastes overlap to the top. My hope is that eventually I would have to do the opposite by digging and looking for games I wouldn't like. Imagine the chances of liking most of the top 1,000 games out of 10,000 games when there is a lot more OUYA owners. Or even better, the top 1,000 games out of millions of games when the OUYA has millions of users. Every single one of those 1,000 games would probably look like the greatest games in the world. I hope the OUYA is like that someday and obviously by then Discover would be even more finely tuned with probably a lot more genres among other things.