PDA

View Full Version : Killswitch Controller Paintjob

Killswitch
02-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Ok. I wanted to do something with my controllers.
As some of you know I've been hunting out cheap OUYAs with extra controllers just to get more controllers. If I had some friends to use the controllers that might be cooler than just painting them :p

I'm still waiting on thumbsticks which seem to be on a slow boat from China but this is what I have so far.

http://s26.postimg.org/9xs5olgbd/2014_02_23_12_27_25.jpg
http://s26.postimg.org/b4bd2a02h/2014_03_09_19_04_45.jpg

It's actually sitting on the box of the OUYA I bought it with. That box is actually labelled, and going back out, don't plan to keep all the extra units.

Some things I've found with the controller.
These things are a bitch to paint. First coat does not go on well. I was up to the 3rd or 4th coat before the yellow stayed as solid as I wanted.
Used Krylon Fusion paints on this one.
Then used a Rustoleum Matte Clear since I couldn't find Plastidip in Matte Clear, waiting for them to get back to me and see if it's available somewhere.

As you can see there is a bad spot on the right side, paint pooled in that spot. I might take a paint stripper to this thing and clean it down and start again.
Might need to use a self etching primer though instead of a regular one, can see spots where the paint lifted.
I might even be able to strip it without the stripper. Haven't tried.

Wanted some type of tie dyed controller. Don't know why.
As I get more I may change up color schemes. Next one may be a tie dye with the dark base like the purple from this one.
May do an all florescent green one.
Just something to do.

Need thumbsticks also but those are coming so this will change but I think this is the final color change on this for now.

undftdroar
02-23-2014, 05:48 PM
yeah still looks pretty sick (thats right riot, i said it)

the more i look at it the more i think a faux wood grain would look cool.

Edit: some sky blue would look nice mixed with those colors switch.

Nitrogen_Widget
02-23-2014, 06:58 PM
Are you priming it first after you strip it / sand it down to bare metal?

ilurx
02-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Rastafari! Some red thumbsticks would match well with the paint job.

Killswitch
02-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Are you priming it first after you strip it / sand it down to bare metal?

If I decide to strip it I'll use a self etching primer, no real need to sand as long as it's cleaned up right. Though I think I might be able to chip off the paint without using some toxic crap. Might be tougher to get off after a full 24 hours but right now it's kind of soft and I can still leave fingerprints.
Maybe some TSP or deglosser. Depends on the durability of this metal.

I don't trust sanding this thing, if I did I'd go with an oil or shellac based primer.

Rastafari! Some red thumbsticks would match well with the paint job.
Ordered 20 assorted so might be one red one blue or something or both red, I'll check the best combo but that purple did come out a little greenish, probably from the yellow undercoat. Is kind of rasta isn't it :)

derty
02-24-2014, 06:38 AM
Diggin it so far man ;) slap those new sticks on and it will look even better ;)

Eucrow
02-24-2014, 06:46 PM
Nice! great job.

JerTM
02-24-2014, 09:01 PM
For some reason I am craving Cheetos now. If you get a wild hair on one of your spare controller faceplates, see if you can separate the metal from the plastic without damaging it. I can powerdercoat but I don't want to ruin one of my good faceplates separating them.

Killswitch
03-01-2014, 09:05 PM
JerTM. It can probably be done but I don't trust the plastic on these things. I'm not the most delicate person but a microscrewdriver should do it.

I think I'm leaving this one as is except for the sticks I added.
I switched to postimage for pics since someone couldn't see imgshack so hopefully no one has issues with postimage.
Don't think I'll be peeling and re-painting. Just using another technique on the next one to see if I can keep it from peeling.
Trying self etching primer.
Not going to get fancy and powdercoat.

Need a better pic

http://s26.postimg.org/6g86m14nt/2014_03_01_15_49_56.jpg

RiotingSpectre
03-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Looks super cool. My neighbor would probably smoke it though.

Killswitch
03-09-2014, 11:14 PM
I was going to do some other stuff but decided just go straight color.

Ironic that the yellow was a good Krylon while the purple was a cheap $1 can from Walmart.
Walmart paint like 3-4 coats but it was fine with 2.
Krylon took like 10 coats to cover.
Now I just need to buy some friends and I'm set.
http://s26.postimg.org/b4bd2a02h/2014_03_09_19_04_45.jpg

Hydrus
03-09-2014, 11:26 PM
The yellow one reminds me of Bumblebee from Transformers. You should get a black Autobot car vinyl sticker and stick it on the faceplate's handle.

Killswitch
03-10-2014, 12:11 AM
The yellow one reminds me of Bumblebee from Transformers. You should get a black Autobot car vinyl sticker and stick it on the faceplate's handle.

Maybe. Or just use/make a stencil

cliffsteele
04-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Where did you get the thumbsticks? How difficult are they to replace? I would much rather use the 360 style sticks.

Killswitch
04-08-2014, 05:48 PM
eBay. Got them from China.
Basically pull off and pop the new ones on, not hard at all except trying to get the right side in.

undftdroar
04-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Where did you get the thumbsticks? How difficult are they to replace? I would much rather use the 360 style sticks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Choose-Your-Color-Set-of-6-Joysticks-for-Xbox-Controller-Replacement-Thumbstick-/171290956819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item27e1bc9413

cliffsteele
04-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Thanks

flamepanther
04-09-2014, 07:39 AM

Maybe. Or just use/make a stencil

http://reprolabels.com/Symbols/

rosse119
04-09-2014, 09:16 AM
Nice idea, did you have to remove lots of stuff to get the right stick in? Or did you get a good enough angle to click it on?

shadow1w2
04-09-2014, 11:31 AM
The blue one looks nicely done.
Yellow is kind of washed out.
I'd say an orange would look better, but then again maybe its just the lighting in the picture.
Either way nice job painting these.

Bit of a odd question but any idea what kind of paint would work for a glow in the dark effect?
I'd love to try a hidden pattern on my one controller xD 9maybe my custom case too but no idea how I could apply that into the back of laser etching.
I'd want to find some sorta clear paint that lights up.
Maybe better to just use LEDS and cut out windows.

Killswitch
04-09-2014, 11:35 AM
They pop off, both of them, it's just getting that right one back under. Since I'm a contractor I have many hooks and paint can openers to pull the contact stick back. Might be easier for someone with smaller hands because you have to pull the stick back and get the new stick on and under the case at the same time.

rosse119
04-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Ah ok well either way I want the left stick, just got to buy my alloy wheels first and another $15 of credit for Ouya. After that it's time for new faceplates and new sticks.

Killswitch
04-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Talking like $2 for sticks :D
I bought a 20 pack for like $6 on the slow boat from China.
I even have clear ones.
This is the eBay pic but I didn't get black and another one was a different color too.
Got clear.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjI2WDg0Nw==/z/twgAAOxygj5Sc8X1/$%28KGrHqRHJE8FJhYNQSUmBSc8%280pWkQ~~60_12.JPG

TinyPixxels
04-11-2014, 04:51 PM
OOOOH They are so pretty! I love the purple ones... Do want!!